• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

hood latch?

Ray Brandes

I can't find this little cone coil spring in the parts book and I am wondering if it is indeed original.

It doesn't have enough force to pop the hood when the release is pulled.

Please excuse the purple, I think the camera was set to something funky!

Do any of y'all have this spring? Or does my latch need some kind of adjustment?

Regards, Ray

hoodspring.jpg

1 hour ago, ray_ said:

None of that looks stock. More pics, please.

Cheers,

ray_,

I had the gadget out and it just locks. There is no part of it that will kick the hood up. So, some upward spring force is necessary.

The rubber bumpers out near the ends are dead. I tried some foam weather stripping, but that compressed and took a set.

What I am thinking is when I get new rubber bumpers, to adjust the latch so the center of the hood has to bend down a little to lock in place.

That way the hood itself will the the ejection spring.

Regards, Ray

hoodspring2.jpg

hoodspring3.jpg

hoodspring4.jpg

Hmm well....

That appears to be a 700 ;-)

There are a few 700 owners on the board, rey949 being one. You could PM him.

Or call Carl Nelson at La Jolla Indep. and ask. Their website is bimmerdoc.com

Good luck!

Edited by ray_

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Ray,

IMHO, the spring and the rubber strips are bogus. No such items on The Mighty Cabriolet. I assume these are someone's attempt to keep the hood from bouncing when closed. I figure they couldn't get the latch set satisfactorily.

I have a similar problem on The Mighty Cabriolet. The previous owners solution was to affix those hideous rubber hold downs you can see in the picture. I once spent an entire week trying to set the latch with no success. Either the hood wouldn't close fully or the latch wouldn't open enough to allow the hood to close.

Neil

1962 BMW 700 Cabriolet "The Mighty Cabriolet"

McMil,

I added the weather strips. They compressed and took a set and are going to come off.

I have some rubber bumpers on the way and I hope they fit. They look exactly right, but....

http://www.homeprofasteners.com/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=rubber bumpers&description=1&product_id=693

I will let you know how they work out.

After having the hood latch out and examining how it works, it only serves to lock the hood down. There is no provision for it to push the hood up when the ratchet is released. Therefore, I believe the two bumpers at the outer ends need to contact before the latch is set. Then pushing down in the middle will bend the hood slightly and the hood itself will be the spring that pops it free.

One other thing I realized is that if the cable breaks or is not adjusted correctly in that the latch cannot be released, there is absolutely no way to open the hood without cutting metal. Very scary!

Regards, Ray