• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

San Diego purchase inspection - help?

Update: please ignore, seems the seller is giving me a bit of a run around. no longer looking at the car.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to put it.  I checked the regional section and the last post was from 2015.

I found a car I'm looking to get from San Diego area.  I have a friend down there who will handle the purchasing and shipment of the car, but I was hoping to solicit someone to help with an inspection of the car first.  I don't necessarily need a shop level inspection, but if that is the only option, would be willing to do it.  I'm willing to pay your for your time and expertise.  Any takers?

Edited by mataku527

Where in San Diego? When do you need it done? seems these days my schedule is always packed with stuff to do (having a teenage kid does that) so not sure if I can but let me know and if the stars align I could take a look at it. If it gets to the point you need a shop level inspection use La Jolla Independent BMW Service.

74 Golf

Yeah, that is a bit too far for me, I am quite a ways north of there. Is it at a junkyard? that area is mostly junkyards and used tire places. Be very careful of anything you buy from that area, it could very well be a vehicle assembled from random parts from the salvage yards which could be a nightmare to register/title.

74 Golf

Thanks for the consideration.  It does have a salvaged title, but it seems legit.  He even gave me info for the dealer that originally sold it restored/rebuilt and told me to call them to talk to them about it

I did not consider that it could be a problem registering it... 

Edited by mataku527

5 hours ago, FunkyLaneO said:

Yeah, that is a bit too far for me, I am quite a ways north of there. Is it at a junkyard? that area is mostly junkyards and used tire places. Be very careful of anything you buy from that area, it could very well be a vehicle assembled from random parts from the salvage yards which could be a nightmare to register/title.

Yeah, I lived in San Diego for 25 years. When I was there that area was known for a lot of stolen cars and shady deals.

(1973 Fjord Blue 037) Vin 2588314- Build date February 6th, 1973- delivered to Hoffman Motors NYC February 8th.