• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

door referb /stiff window question 75 2002

I am going to take my doors apart, and i kinda want to do it only once.   So here is what I have so far to referb the door.

Gromits (the three little ones for the lock mech rods) 

Door stop (mine are broken)

outdoor window seal

quarter window seal

power door locks

door card clips ( green ones)

Flexible conduit to run the speaker wire and door lock through

Door handle seals

I intend to put some dynamat in the inside skin, and repair the plastic barrier  

When i try to roll up the window it is really stiff, is this because of the regulator being worn by the crank (I would need the MB rivet fix)  or is the spring done, or window channel or all three?

Thanks in advance

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

Don't know if this is pertinent or not, but I recently installed new OEM weathership along the vent and had a terrible time getting the window to fully roll up.  There was a noticeable difference after installing an aftermarket seal (AGC 75 0636).

It can be all three.  The main thing is alignment to make sure that the glass is passing up and down square to the frame.  This is effectively achieved by pinching the glass between the front runners that rolls up the vent frame and the rear which has a friction fit. Too tight and it's... too tight. Too loose and it rotates too much and it's... too tight.  

When you have all the parts out of the door, clean them all up and add new grease. As you say, look for wear in the regulator linkage as that just means lost motion when winding and things being at funny angles which can also make them stiff. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. I meant that the technique to getting the window right is the balance between having the front and rear runners too close or far enough apart. the front runner uses a little wheeled 'trolley' with a couple of friction pads. This hooks around the extension to the vent window frame. The rear frame is a top hat sectioned bar with a friction runner that wraps around one side of it. Both frames, to one degree or another, can move in 2 dimensions when looked at from above. The best adjustment is where you can get the two lined up parallel in both axis and not so close or far apart that the mechanism binds or the glass rotates and sticks. 

Probably make more sense when you are looking at it than my poor description. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/