• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Problem with bumper shocks

Im currently drilling and tucking the front bumper shocks in my 76' 2002, all of the fluid is out and one of them easily retracted. However, the other shock wont move, i tried hammering on it but it didnt do much. I noticed a bolt on the back of each shock, does that have something to do with it?

No the bolt on the back shouldnt do anything. I did have to give one of my shocks a thorough beating with a rubber malet! Make sure shock is not making contact with the lip of the hole in front fender.

Alternative is just buy some cheap exhaust tubing and replace the shocks.

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

I had the same problem.  One shock retracted while the other was stuck.  After trying to hammer on the shock with it still on the car, it still didn't budge.  I unbolted the shock and pulled it off the car (pretty easy, only one bolt, given you took off the bumper already).  Then I stood the shock upright and hammered on it with a sledge hammer (place a piece of wood on top where you are hammering).  It eventually retracted but I had to hit it pretty hard.  You could probably put it in a vice if you have one (I didn't).  Also, if the shock that is stuck is on the drivers side, take out the battery to get to the bolt (BMW cut a hole in the battery tray for easy access to the bolt.  Good luck. 

Edited by doslucero