• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exhaust Manifold Studs Removal

larryt

If you can't get an air-saw you could try to find a hacksaw with a protruding blade - I can't think of how to describe it in words but I do have one (Close quarters hacksaw?). Here's a pic of what I mean:

hacksaw 2.jpg

Is it possible to get a long/thin drill bit up there and start a small indentation in the nut. Then replace the thin bit with something bigger and drill out most of one side of the nut. From here you might be able to (gently) knock the rest of the nut off.

But maybe just getting the nut off is only half the battle and you need the whole stud removed to get the manifold out of your tight spot :(

I used this procedure on my stubborn lower studs/nuts, but my engine was out of the car and so much easier to see and maneuver.

Good luck...

Randy

1975 - 2366762 Born 7/75

See the whole restoration at:

http://www.rwwbmw2002.shutterfly.com

ive done it!!!! i managed to get various hacksaws on the stubborn ones and worked myself silly to cut the heads off and remove the manifold! the studs that were left in just took some work with a pair of grips! so happy with the work i managed to do! 

got the steering arms and center section off, got the steering box out and its in very good condition (was covered in grease which has protected it!) a very good day! 

now i have to start cleaning them up and putting them back. 

thanks for all your help guys

Congratulations! The emotion you are expressing is one you will get used to when working on these cars - a day or so (week/month or so?) of anguish followed by the euphoria of solving a puzzle once seen as unsolvable.  Many of us have been there and I must say once again that this forum is an invaluable resource for those of us in need.  You should feel proud not only that you sorted out your issue but that there is now a record of your solution for those who will require it in the future.

May the baby steps continue to lead you forward.

Daniel