• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BMW 1800 TISA

tisalover

Yes, Peter, I agree on the seats.  I think I'll try the auto vaccine since it appears to be safe.

Tried a repair on the hand brake boot.  Will check it this PM.

Anyone have a good G 235 transmission available?  We're considering putting the original aside due to its historically fragile reputation.

Motor should go to the rebuilder within a week or so.  After that we can get some pix of the piston heads.

Bill

Bill Morris

Bill, thanks so much for posting the motor pictures. If you cannot find slightly oversized Pistons, consider sending one of your originals to  Arias and having a set made, which is what I did for my car (which is 2 L with Tisa domes).

The 235 gearbox is going to be tough to find. I started searching for one for the turbo several years ago, and they would either be snatched away from my hands just as I was negotiating a price , Or priced in the obscenely high three to $4000 range. I still haven't found one. It may be worth putting a ad in the parts for sale section. The last one I bought I paid $750 for, and it was perfect, it's in the Tisa. That was, admittedly about 10 years ago. Keep up the good work. Thanks for posting pictures, it's an exciting project.

Best regards, Peter

The First thing is to have an untroubled mind. The Second thing is to know your purpose. Illigitimati Non Carborundum

Got to start on carpet cleaning.  Before and after shot below.

Everything is out of the car except suspension.  We need to take it to a State Patrol inspection because a couple digits are wrong on its ancient title, and I want to get it right on the new one.  BMW wants proof of VIN and my ownership before they'll sell us any TiSA-specific parts.

After we get back from that the suspension will come off and the body will go to blasting.

IMG_0477.JPG

Edited by alfagta

Bill Morris

Terry tells me I need a left rear bumper part.  Ours is too far gone.  Please let me know if anyone has a usable piece.

Second question--it came with a radio and its speaker under the metal grate on top of the dash.  We're not planning to use the radio.  Is there some piece that fills in the hole under the grate?  I didn't see anything like that on realoem.  

Lastly, I'd like to find another ash tray.  Mine is missing the thing that hooks onto the ash tray lid.

Thanks for the help.  Bill

output (2).jpg

output (3).jpg

Edited by alfagta

Bill Morris

On 3/10/2017 at 6:33 PM, alfagta said:

Got to start on carpet cleaning.  Before and after shot below.

Everything is out of the car except suspension.  We need to take it to a State Patrol inspection because a couple digits are wrong on its ancient title, and I want to get it right on the new one.  BMW wants proof of VIN and my ownership before they'll sell us any TiSA-specific parts.

After we get back from that the suspension will come off and the body will go to blasting.

IMG_0477.JPG

Original carpets? How did you clean? I ask because my '73 02 has its original carpets w/o any holes or wear (for the most part), but could use a good cleaning, and I've tried 2x w/o great results.. Would much rather do that than purchase new.

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

I've used Griot's Garage interior cleaner and carpet cleaner.  Sprayed on, agitated with a brush, then used a steam cleaner, rinsed off with water and drip-dried.  I've done two sessions so far and will likely do at least one more.  Bill

Edited by alfagta

Bill Morris

7 minutes ago, alfagta said:

I've used Griot's Garage interior cleaner and carpet cleaner.  Sprayed on, agitated with a brush, then used a steam cleaner, rinsed off with water and drip-dried.  I've done two sessions so far and will likely do at least one more.  Bill

I think steam cleaning's the key. Unfortunately I'll have to pay someone to do so. Thanks for the tips!

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

Here's a short update on #133's adventures.  As I mentioned earlier, the title had several errors, including two wrong digits of VIN and year (1968 instead of 1965).  Calling the local vehicle office first, I was told the car had to be taken back to Ohio to have the title problems resolved--not a good option, especially since it has largely been disassembled.  Second call to another office told me I could get a VIN inspection by the state patrol.  This happened yesterday and went very well.  The officers were quite helpful and seemed interested in the car's history.  Now I have the ability to get it registered, but I have to wait three years to get title.  They ended up treating it as a lost title rather than trying to modify the existing one.  

The other excitement happened on the way home in my 4-spd MB 240D ('83).  It ran great all the way up to the station--2 hours drive--and fine when I left.  About two or three miles back on I-5 it just stopped.  Unfortunately it was raining, and the car stopped on a bridge with no shoulder.  It started crumping a little before that, so I pulled over, hoping to reach a shoulder, but it quit too quickly.  Usually when the filter is getting full I can tell by some decreased power on uphills, but none of that preceded this event.  Traffic was heavy, so a line of cars behind me began building up quickly with many blowing their horns.

I was suspicious of the in-line fuel filter and sure enough it looked clogged.  I keep a spare in the car.  Swapped it out.  240D started up on the second or third try, then worked great the rest of the way home.

Engine rebuild is still in progress.  The cylinders will need to be bored some.  Remains to be seen whether the boring will make them too big for BimBill's pistons, in which case we'll need to have some made.

Bill Morris

• 2 weeks later...

Found a man named Gareth Richards in England who can make the TiSA buckets in red and black.  I've attached some of the pictures he sent me.

If anyone else is interested in ordering some seats we can ask if a group price is possible.  He quoted 880 GBP per seat plus shipping.

Made the trip to Licensing place last Friday.  Got #133 registered and they accepted my funky title and said I'd get a new one in 6 weeks--won't have to wait three years like the State Patrol thought.  Also, the SP meant to mark the paperwork as showing that it's not a running car and thus in need of another inspection after it's ready to drive, but they forgot to check that box.  

DSCF0081.JPG

DSCF0102.JPG

Edited by alfagta

Bill Morris

Bravo Bill, those seats look as correct as possible and will be better made by an old English craftsman, I believe, than anything else you could expect to find. People forget how wonderful the English "cottage industry" was and all the years they spent building things like Vincent motorcycles that are now treasured. Or Elva BMWs. Or Loti. You get the general idea.

You may try finding some maroon vinyl which more closely matches your own patina'd  door panels and rear seat , and sending it along. There's a much greater variety of vinyl color available that I would've thought. Now is a great time to get them as well due to the weakness of the British pound.  The pieces of the puzzle are coming together. 

Best regards, Peter

The First thing is to have an untroubled mind. The Second thing is to know your purpose. Illigitimati Non Carborundum