• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cleaning up rats nest of wiring

rhariz21

Hey guys,

Firstly, a side note: i love how helpful this community is!! best experience I've had/seen with a forum 

Working on cleaning up the nightmare of wiring the previous owner did on my 1974 02. It has random wires everywhere! I'm trying to track down a mysterious aftermarket switch that doesn't seem to do anything.

First question is, can someone help identify what these relays are for from left to right in the first attached picture?

The Second picture is the third relay where the switch is connected.

A blue wire is pulled from the second relay, red to battery, black not connected to anything (guessing the ground fell off), Yellow to this switch. At the switch, there is the yellow and a green wire. green wire  splices into a wire into the ignition if i remember right it was purple. then goes to some box into a mess of other wires again. I want to say it was for the head unit (which was missing when purchased). This car had 2 amps, bunch of speakers, 2 subs, dvd player, and a bunch of random useless stuff so there are wires and grounds  EVERYWHERE!

That was a lot of info. I primarily want to know what those relays are and that blue wire from the 2nd relay so i can determine whether to pull all the wiring and that switch off the car.

Thanks in advance!

20161206_201654.jpg

20161206_205415.jpg

The one you are holding is aftermarket. Slow tedious job but just start tracing the wires back to where they are terminated and remove. 

No secret other than being methodical. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

2 minutes ago, Simeon said:

The one you are holding is aftermarket. Slow tedious job but just start tracing the wires back to where they are terminated and remove. 

No secret other than being methodical. 

Any idea what that blue wire is from the Second relay?

Do you have a wiring diagram?  It is absolutely indispensable if you are getting into the wiring.  PDF's exist.  I have one for a '75 and it seems to be correct for my '74.

Something to be aware of is that these wires do fade over time into some pretty interesting colors.  Green often turns blue so you have to locate the actual conductor and trace back.

Here's a snapshot of the region of interest.

Relays.png

Edited by Healey3000

Have you got any wiring diagrams?

http://www.2002tii.org/kb/246

That's not going to be factory wiring in that location (ie a solid blue wire). Note the colour combinations on the wiring diagram. Not many solid colours used. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/