• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dear 02 Friends,

I am hitting a roadblock with removal of the driveshaft.

Read the blue shop manual and Haynes manual for instructions. All indicate the same. Remove exhaust, remove bolts of guibo, disconnect flange at pinion drive flange at differential, remove two bolts center shaft bearing and ....lower and remove complete shaft. Well not this particular one. 

What I think happens is the internal components for centering the driveshaft (spring, washers, centering ring, ball socket, circlip and sealing cap) are stuck on the pin going through the transmission flange, see photo:

IMG_2009.JPG

Got the sealing cap removed and still cannot remove the driveshaft. 

I can push the driveshaft towards the transmission and it gives in a bit, assuming the spring is compressing. When I pull hard towards rear it just releases the spring and feels like it hits an obstruction. I tried leverage with a piece of 2 x 4 between the driveshaft flange and the transmission support and does not comes loose. Tried to rotate driveshaft under different angles and put pressure without any luck.

The driveshaft is completely disconnected, see photo:

IMG_2015.JPG

This is an early 1969 2002 with Getrag 232

Any ideas from fellow 02 friends are very much appreciated.

Thank you

JP

Edited by jplips
typo

JP

JP, I think your assumption is correct.  The centering ring is stuck on the transmission centering pin.  If accessible, a soak of penetrant might loosen the ring.  Then a good prybar, like those that look like a bent screwdriver might be able to pop it loose.

If not then maybe the dust cap has to be cut away entirely to gain access to the circlip.  A circlip pliers with the 90deg tips might be able to get in there to remove the clip.  That's the limit of my brainpower.

Jim

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Never had this problem, but here is a possible solution....

Put the center bearing back up in place, loosely. Then take two of the guibo bolts and put nuts on them. You may have to get nuts that are flat on both sides. Then put the bolts in the transmission flange and rotate the driveshaft so the heads of the bolts are on the driveshaft flange. Now turn the nuts (start to remove them) so the bolts act as a press to move the driveshaft away from the transmission. You will have a nut against the transmission flange and the head of the screw against the driveshaft. There should be enough to push it off. If not, use longer bolts.

Good luck,

Mike

Good Luck,

Mike (#87)

Mike's idea of using jackscrews is a good one, but easy on the gusto because the load will also be on the circlip groove that can split out the end of the DS flange.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.