• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sound Deadener install specific question

calw

I've started installing sound deadener material in my car.  Shortcutting through the long suffering topic of what material to use, I'm installing 80 mil foil faced Butyl, brand name "Noico".  

Now the question: Any problem putting the sound deadener material on the parcel shelf?  It seems to be an area that could transmit sound.

thanks!

Thanks, Simeon!

I'm well on the way, with everything aft of the front seats covered. 

One more question- How about all of that somewhat thin sheet metal under the dashboard?  Can some deadener be used there, or will there be interference issues with all of the electrical and heater parts that are still in boxes?  It's been a long time since disassembly,. but I recall some pondering about how to take it apart because of the tight fit.  It seems like it might do some good but a gooey mess when I find out it needs to come off isn't an appealing thought...

I am not an expert on this but the science with sound deadening is that the stick on butyl type stuff is good for taking the drum out of large panels which can give you a low frequency drum and sounds tinny when hit. If you are trying to block out something noisy that is on the other side of the panel (say an engine or gearbox) then the butyl stuff is less effective (not non-effective) at this and you probably want something more insulating (think foam or rock wool lower density type stuff). Probably the best is a combination like the factory tar on the floor covered in the Masonite boards with foam on the back and then carpet. With the factory low density firewall pad, it is this kind of mixture of techniques you are looking for to work best. 

Have a a think about what you are trying to do with the soundproofing and putting butyl type stuff on smaller panels that are generally stiffer doesn't give as much gain. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Avoiding the subject concerning the benefits...

I simply avoided the area around the heater box opening, so that the heated box could be installed without being impeded by the dynamat. Other than that obviosuly any openings ("holes) for wires  or wire clips.

I used a combination of dynamat lite and some EZ Cool foam insulation.

Details in my blog:

• Dynamat:
  • EZ Cool:
  •  
Edited by MildSeven

picked up what i thought was a sound Verona Red '76

The Refresh Blog: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/155-76-verona-red-refresh/

13 minutes ago, MildSeven said:

Avoiding the subject concerning the benefits...

I simply avoided the area around the heater box opening, so that the heated box could be installed without being impeded by the dynamat. Other than that obviosuly any openings ("holes) for wires  or wire clips.

I used a combination of dynamat lite and some EZ Cool foam insulation.

Details in my blog:

• Dynamat:
  •  

i just looked at your link...good job on putting it back together

this is my thought based on experience....if you used the 3M super 90 to attach the heavier foam panels to the roof, you'll most likely have problems in the future with the panels falling causing huge problems with your headliner

none of the 3m adhesives will stand up to the heat...the glue will release when it get hot...the only product i'm aware of and use a lot is the weldwood vinyl roof/landau top contact cement - it has a very high heat rating

your car looks nice BTW

8 minutes ago, esty said:

i just looked at your link...good job on putting it back together

this is my thought based on experience....if you used the 3M super 90 to attach the heavier foam panels to the roof, you'll most likely have problems in the future with the panels falling causing huge problems with your headliner

none of the 3m adhesives will stand up to the heat...the glue will release when it get hot...the only product i'm aware of and use a lot is the weldwood vinyl roof/landau top contact cement - it has a very high heat rating

your car looks nice BTW

thanks! The part on your carpet hasn't been written yet ;)

Shit, I really hope it can stand up to the heat :S The foam panels are SUPER light though, I think the whole 40sq' role was 2lbs shipping weight.

picked up what i thought was a sound Verona Red '76

The Refresh Blog: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/155-76-verona-red-refresh/