• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Turbo air dam with early chrome bumpers

Neildo11

* UPDATE 10/7, I have 3 airdams on order from sweden. Atleast one, maybe two will be for sale. 

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone can confirm weither or not a turbo style front air dam can be fitted with an early chrome bumper? I know the IE and other aftermarket air dams work but I have not been able to find any information or pictures of a turbo style valance with a bumper. My concern is that the turbo looks to stick out more than the other air dam styles right at the bumper mounting height. If i've missed this information in another post please feel free to link it here. Thanks!

-Neil

Edited by Neildo11
Update

74 sahara M42 

Turbo Air Dam will not work with an early chrome bumper.  As you say, its position on the body is too high for the bumper to remain in place.  

You can run a kamei-style bumper with a chrome bumper I believe.

Another option would be to run something like Joe's setup with a split bumper approach.  Of course some fabrication would be required.

http://www.cncpics.com/2015/October/SoCal-Vintage-BMW-2015/i-g5x3bLL/A

Thanks for the clarification Andrew, I have seen the kamei bumper in conjunction with an early chrome bumper. At first glance I thought the turbo and kamei bumpers had the same shape up around the bumper area, I assume it's the placement on the body that is an issue with the turbo air dam ( not lining up with the early bumper mounts)?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

74 sahara M42 

Be aware that the turbo air dam is like a snow plow. Looks good but problematic in every day driving. If you hurry into a left turn to a store or parking lot with oncoming traffic you have to creep up the slope to avoid dragging. You can never forget that it is there. When SCR did the turbo I had Matt fit two spoilers. One for show and one for go. They sure do look go though!

Jack, thanks for the advice. I'm used to driving with care when going over bumps and dips, so much so that it's become habit even in my big work truck...

For anyone interest I have contacted the swedish company from the old thread I linked above, if I can get their "short sided" turbo bumper shipped to US for a decent price I'm going to give this idea a shot, I'm sure some modifications will be necessary but this is a look i've been wanting to achieve with my car for some time now. I'll ad to this discussion with my success or failure, I'm even considering reworking an ebay turbo bumper if I can't get my hands on the short version. 

74 sahara M42 

When I got my car, it was on H&R springs and the spoiler clearance was 4" - I couldn't stomach that living where there are chuck holes - so I ordered BMW OEM turbo springs - took the spoiler up to 6" with 13 inch wheels, and 7" with 15" H&B wheels - I think the stance looks better and no more worry about the air dam being destroyed - not sure why so many want to slam the car to the ground with lowering springs and kill the ride in the process

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indy02