• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is my bootlid crap?

DeanR32

Hi FAQ

Ive been cleaning up my bootlid for the 02 project, but it doesn't look right to me. The edges look like they flare out where it would normally meet the rear quarter waistline trim (although I've deleted mine). Also, the edge sitting above the rear panel seems more curved than the rest panel, and also sits out further than the rear panel itself. 

im not sure how these should be fitting, but it doesn't seem right to me

can anyone shed some light on this for me please

cheers

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by DeanR32
Screwed up the pics

Yes.  Most are.  Or at least, were.

But if you're doing bodywork, then it's not hard at all to make it fit your shell very well.

They weren't perfect from the factory, by any means.

In the tail, usually the rear panel gets pushed in.  Even if not, it's far easier to get the front

fit of the trunk to the body very good, then modify the tail panel to fit it right.

The sides, the trunk lids seem to usually be

wider than the car, as you show, but you can squeeze them back down.  It's a pretty brutal process, usually.

I think I used a pipe clamp and some 2x4's.  And a 5lb dead- blow hammer.  Those things are ace.

Make SURE you offer up the taillights as you're doing the fitting- you can get the body

lines perfect, and then the lights don't fit at all...

It's all a moving target- you'll soon figure out how the panels relate, and then you can figure

out how much you care about the exact fit <here> versus a better fit <there>...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL