• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

help with opinions on this 02

e30edm

so what do you guys think? if none of the rust is cancerous what else should i look for when i go check out the car this week ? thanks in advance

I'm not certain there is a clear line between "benign rust" and "cancerous rust"; it's more of a continuum and you want it to fall on the more "benign" side of that continuum. As with ANY old car, rust is your enemy. My view is that '02 mechanical parts are cheap and plentiful. Find yourself a low-rust body and run with it.

That said, the ad mentioned absolutely nothing about this being an in-op car. Why? Because no would care? I think, oh, about 100% of the potential buyers would care. There's a slipperiness about neglecting to mention in a listing THAT THE CAR DOESNT HAVE AN ENGINE IN IT!

There's also probably a reason the car hasn't sold yet?

If a car's engine runs but you can't drive the car -- for other mechanical reasons -- a large discount is applied. If a car's engine is installed but can't be run, an additional large discount is applied. And if a car's engine isn't even in the car, and there's not even a receipt for the engine overhaul from a known and reputable shop, an additional large discount is applied. As it sits, this sounds like a rolling shell -- we'd like to discover that it's a very good rolling shell -- with an engine "on the side". Is it the original, numbers-matching engine -- not currently a big deal on a '74 non-tii, but good to know.

Good luck,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

So how will I able to really check the rust for being more on the benign side? I'm going to check out the car Thursday and will jack it up to see under the car as well. Ira did a ppi already and said its not a "rust bucket" I believe he states the engine being out of the car in the original ad. He told me it had matching numbers. He said engine is ready to drop in just needs a clutch. Comes with everything else according to him. Any thoughts how much I might pay for this car. After Ira did the ppi he raised his asking price as well. Any thoughts on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know the difference between a re-built head & bottom end vs. a detailed head & bottom...

This is a solid buy.......But...If it weren't for the fact that I currently own 6 cars, four of them BMW 2002's (one TII) and the fact that I want to give you right to refusal, because I respect 02ers, and I said I'd look at the car for you, I would buy the darn car.....

What you should do is take a shit or get off the pot.....

I almost want to buy the car so I can race you against whatever you're driving now, just to so you know you snoozed on a good thing, but that's my opinion....And we all know what they say about opinions....

Again as a sportsman in the same game, you have first right of refusal as a finder...

ira

thanks ira! your ppi really gave me a lot more insight because i trust you are a good sportsman in this game and really hooked me up with a good inspection. i will be viewing the car on thursday i believe keep you guys updated!

copied from the other "gee, should i buy this car" thread...

----------------

this, and all these "should i buy this car" threads have the same answer....if you have to ask this forum, then you should find a different car.  because if the poster is asking, then they don't know enough about 02 issues to make a good decision.  if it is beyond their knowledge, then they are already over their heads.

newbies need to read the mccarty 02 restoration guide a few times, then search here on "rust", then look at a dozen cars over 6 months.  then, and only then, should they consider buying anything......

---------

2xM3