Fuel Pump Mounting/Cam dimensions

Healey3000

Hi,

I'm contemplating designing a cam position sensor that is mounted on the fuel pump boss.  I was hoping one of you may be kind enough to measure a couple of things for me, if you happen to have your pump off the engine:

• With the pump cam at maximum displacement, that is, pushing the rod out as far as possible, where is the crank with respect to TDC?
  • What is the distance from the pump mounting boss on the head to the cam lobe in this position (pushrod removed)?
  • What's the diameter of the pushrod (length is in the FAQ but not diameter)?

Thanks!

Hi,

I'm contemplating designing a cam position sensor that is mounted on the fuel pump boss.  I was hoping one of you may be kind enough to measure a couple of things for me, if you happen to have your pump off the engine:

• With the pump cam at maximum displacement, that is, pushing the rod out as far as possible, where is the crank with respect to TDC?
  • What is the distance from the pump mounting boss on the head to the cam lobe in this position (pushrod removed)?

Thanks!

Hi,

look here (standard camshaft stamped "2"):

post-42081-0-52597500-1425386978_thumb.j post-42081-0-89350400-1425387360_thumb.j

The pump cam in TDC now is pretty exactly downwards. This would mean the camshaft (not the crankshaft) is 90° before TDC when the pump cam is in max. But to measure out this exactly, you better use a measuring clockwork/gauge with very long feeler- I don't have.

The boss is not parallel to the shaft, but I measured 77mm in TDC, max 79mm and min 74,5mm.

Pushrod diameter must be 8mm.

Regards,

Hen

Hi,

Thanks!

Hi,

look here (standard camshaft stamped "2"):

attachicon.gifP3030011.JPG attachicon.gifP3030012.JPG

The pump cam in TDC now is pretty exactly downwards. This would mean the camshaft (not the crankshaft) is 90° before TDC when the pump cam is in max. But to measure out this exactly, you better use a measuring clockwork/gauge with very long feeler- I don't have.

The boss is not parallel to the shaft, but I measured 77mm in TDC, max 79mm and min 74,5mm.

Pushrod diameter must be 8mm.

Regards,

Hen

Hi Hen,

Thanks very much for the measurements.  Therefore, pump cam lobe is max at 180 degrees out from TDC on the crank; good.  Total cam "lift" is approximately 4.5 mm, which may be sufficient for a Hall sensor to differentiate.  That 8 mm diameter is going to be  a problem, however.

Archived