• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to tackle this rust?

DeanR32

Hi guys

My project has only just got off the ground recently, and I'm starting round the back.

I've come across this area and need to know how best to treat the rust. It's a bitch of an area to cut out, and looks even harder to weld. I know there isn't any miracle rust killing solution, but is there anything close to it?

B8078EF2-939B-480F-88BF-D1A0F99BF19F.jpg

D262250F-1020-4F4D-BE5C-4B8E038A9780.jpg

86125C8A-A3CF-4C6A-B95A-26AD50627D8A.jpg

As you can see, it needs cleaning a whole lot better than it is now, but still won't be anywhere near shiny clean steel.

Any tips/recommendations are welcome

Cheers

Dean

If the metal is still solid, meaning you can"t poke a screw driver through it, you can neutralize the rust by chemical means. I've had good results with Eastwood's Rust Dissolver. Brush it on the area, let sit awhile, like eight hours and then lightly scrub with a brush. Then wash off with water. You may have to repeat a few times. After it is all cleaned up, give it two or three coats of Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator. You can get it in black so it should match you car.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'll look into the Eastwood stuff. Is that something I can pick up in the UK? It is solid metal by the way

It's a real tricky area to get anything into. I'll try and get a larger diameter wheel to get in there, but the body of the grinder doesn't allow easy access at all

Try different types of wheels- I found that a woodworking (3500 rpm) drill with a wheel on it was good for that

sort of thing.

3M sells a 'stripping' wheel over here that, while pricey, really takes that sort of thing down to the point where

the rust neutralizers will do a good job of stopping the rest from growing.

hth

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Cheers lads

I'll do my best to get it as clean as possible, then look into some of the products suggested.

I do have a phosphoric acid gel. Not sure on the % of acid, but it stings the nose after a whiff! I've been using it on a few pitted areas on the body. Maybe that'll do for the neutraliser.

I'll have loads of questions in the future.

Cheers guys

I'd be fine using hydrochloric acid, but just wondering how I'd get rid of something so potent after use.

I think I'll use the phosphoric gel I have a couple times, then neutralise and seal it with a Bilt Hanber product, then paint over that with something (not sure what that'll be just yet though).

I've found some b***h areas of rust on this car. Some of the welding I may have to get a pro to do, like rear sub mount areas etc.

It'll take a fair while longer than I thought!