• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hyabusa Engine

1Eighteen

I'm also not sure about the whole weight issue but a local vehicle has really had me scratching my head. Late '80's or early '90's Toyota 1 ton cab / chassis running around town powered by some large displacement sport bike motor. I've seen it three times now but never have been able to flag the guy down. What I CAN see in passing is that the engine is mounted longitudinally, opposite the position it sits in the bike frame, is fastened to a plate more towards the driver's side frame rail, and appears to drive a sprocket attached to the rear half of the stock, two piece drive shaft. The surprising thing, aside from the exhaust note emanating from a Toyota truck is how well this thing gets down the road. The truck is also refinished nicely, which makes it kinda cool. I've been asking around to se if somebody knows him because I'd like to see it up close and learn more about how it's engineered.

Interesting.   You need something light and fast to pull out of your place Chris..traffic on the road in front of your shop is heavy. ;)

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Yeah, you're right, plus last year the speed limit was also raised to 60mph beginning just west of the shop so everyone punches it right as they reach that point heading east. Lots of 75+ mph flying past, including semi's.

Budweiser...It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Avatar photo courtesy K. Kreeger, my2002tii.com ©

Bike engines have little torque, but that's why there is a gearbox. Getting your gear ratios right will be crucial, and most likely very expensive.

Unless you are rolling in the dough, I don't see the point. There are MANY lightweight 4 cylinder engines that would be much cheaper to build. (think F20c, SR20DET, 2ZZ turbo, M42 turbo, 3S-GTE, etc). Even a stock M10 responds well to a turbo.

The question is not "What has been done" but What do YOU want?

'71 2002 Malaga, fun weekender

'70 2002ti Colorado, Restoration/money pit

'74 2002 turbo in my dreams, sideways...