• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ryan's 1974 M2

oh2ryan

The cable p/n is 17910-657-673. Mine took a week to show up because I ordered it through a NY parts supplier who sourced it from a Cali warehouse which wouldn't drop ship. YMMV. :D

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

suggest reinforcing that throttle bracket as i did.  the metal is too thin and when it is just bent like that it will flex.

350/400 is GC's standard for spring rates.  i found the 7in length too long. need 6in.  7in puts the adjuster against the tire.

2xM3

• 1 month later...
Got to work again on the 2002 the last two weekends. I was trying to get it tow ready so I could move the car closer. This way it wouldnt be as difficult to get away and spend some time working on it. 

The first goal was to get the 5 speed bolted up for good since the last test fit went well. First up was to refresh the rear main seal and the pilot bearing. Popping the old rear main seal out was easy, getting the new one in wasnt as simple. I covered the outer and inner portions of the seal with some non hardening gasket sealer and it made the install a little easier. My old pilot bearing gave some resistance also, but a little slide hammer action and out it came in a few whacks. Re-installed was the updated sealed pilot bearing. 

2002001_zpsdbc7b336.jpg

Next up was the flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate. No surprises here. My flywheel had been lightened previously, albeit only a couple pounds, so I decided to use it for now instead of going to an aluminum unit.

2002002_zpsb0c6730b.jpg

The throw out bearing and arm were installed on the transmission, as well as the slave cylinder, and up it went. 

2002004_zps96fe58c7.jpg

2002003_zpsa19b603e.jpg

It took some shimming to get it seated perfectly, but I finally got it all level. I didnt snap a photo at this stage since I was thinking about getting the shift plate and UUC EVO3 shifter in. 

I bought a new BMW foam ring to seal the space in between the shift plate and the trans tunnel. Easy enough, it just slips on top of the shift plate. Getting the plate bolted up to the trans was tough. I didnt install it onto the trans and lift it up as one assembly (the foam and some hardware hadnt come in the mail yet). The shifter installed with some new early model E30 hardware that I had left over. Hopefully the added increase in shift effort seen in most short throw kits will be minimal since the transmission selector rod and the lower mount on the shift lever itself are perfectly in line. 

Finally, I hooked up the track rod and the tie rods so the 2002 could be loaded up onto the flatbed. I misplaced the castle nuts, so I temporarily installed some nylon locking nuts to secure all the steering components. Before the tow I filled the trans and the diff with the appropriate Redline oil to keep everything nice and lubricated. 

2002005_zps2f82bfc8.jpg

2002006_zpsf1b0e113.jpg

2002007_zpsbffc696c.jpg

2002008_zpscd273b76.jpg

I think I went a little overboard snapping photos during the tow but it has been a while since the car has been out in the sun!

And dropped off at its new home:

2002009_zpsa8f0fb66.jpg

Whats left:

-WIRING ENGINE

-Coolant system/ hoses

-Electric fan installation

-Accessory gauges

-Exhaust

-Brakes

-Install refreshed light components from MoBrighta once theyre completed

-Drive and enjoy ;)

Getting close to the first start up, stay tuned. 

-Ryan

05/87 M3 Hennarot

04/71 2002tii Baikal

• 2 weeks later...
Grabbed a buddy and the tools this weekend to check a few more items off the list. 

First step, get the car up in the air. Second step, crack into a cold beer. It still feels like summer here in California so Corona seemed appropriate.

2C19B5F4-CD4F-4C05-BCE8-6F7211C48FD3_zps

I got a package from Ireland Engineering that contained a few more shifter components to finish off the 5 speed swap. We popped the shifter swivel  joint on, attached the shortened selector rod, and did the first shifting test run. Everything felt nice, but underneath I noticed the shifter plate wanted to move around a bit even though all the mounts are new and upgraded parts. This movement translates into shift slop, something I want to reduce as much as possible. After much thought on how to reinforce the shifter set up, we decided to run a through bolt from inside the trans tunnel through the plate and into the cabin. I installed a few spacers (5mm) in between the top of the shifter plate and the trans tunnel so we could tighten the nut down inside the cabin of the 2002 to give a 4th location to secure the shifter plate. This eliminated all slop when shifting left over from the factory set up. Granted this amount was very low to begin with, but why not improve things where you can? I didn't really get a pic of the lower set up, but the nut seen here next to the shifter shows the upper location of the reinforcement. 

CCEC195C-CCA6-4AB5-8B37-F680522ED35E_zps

Now the shifter is done. The little foam ring that sits atop the shift plate looks a bit compressed, I know. We played around with the height of the plate to keep the selector rod level thus to reduce added effort when shifting. The selector shaft of the trans sits about level with the bottom of the UUC shift lever now. That combined with the new mount point tightened up the shifting experience. 

B54BD3A4-CBBB-41BE-B846-B858EBEC28BC_zps

Next up, the shortened 5 speed swap driveline. IE had their hands on this one too, fully rebuilt, new CSB and flex disc.

B3F84F56-C5C6-48E5-9667-3D2E2E995C4E_zps

B35736D6-48A0-4262-96AD-1C308C3AFFEA_zps

The braided clutch cable and lengthened speedo cable were installed while the engine bay had some open space still. Easy install on both,  but the clutch line did require a little bending to clear the brackets required for the S14 throttle cable. I'm glad we installed the speedo cable with the booster assembly off since the little grommet around the cable was a pain to snap in and it goes through the firewall tight against the booster bracket.

2485B6D8-8BF6-4B53-B97C-993DCA2B2908_zps

The booster install was straight forward. I previously rebuilt the assembly with the bearing kit offered by IE. Bolted to the booster is a 750iL master cylinder with E34 540i remote brake reservoir lines. The intake plenum of the S14 prohibits the use of most all brake fluid reservoirs that would normally sit atop the master cylinder. 

Seen also in the above picture is the S14 starter now installed. The shimmed flywheel sensors and flywheel cover plate went on at this time also. The Aardvark transmission that I'm using has the sensor housings added onto the bell housing of the trans. They were just close enough to the flywheel cover that they overlapped a bit and I was worried about potential rubbing/ sound issues. A quick trip to the grinder gave the necessary clearance of the plate. Also, I grabbed an E28 535i flywheel sensor bracket and cover plate to keep things protected from road debris and grime. A little grinding work on those was needed to keep the cover plate clear of the track rod when turning the steering wheel. 

581ACECC-DF78-4312-BCAC-D5CDCD2F0DA0_zps

The rest of the weekend went towards stripping out the remaining sound deadening and cleaning up the interior. Ill finish that job up soon.

Here she sits until next time:

C70EBE25-3A50-4359-8E0B-541D4EB4354C_zps

Edited by RCM3

-Ryan

05/87 M3 Hennarot

04/71 2002tii Baikal

• 1 month later...
So its been a while since I have updated. The weekends have been going towards the small stuff, things I didnt realize would be so time consuming but needed to happen to get the car on the road. 

I started here:

2002010_zpsa123d519.jpg

I finally took the many pages of wiring resources that I have saved over the last couple months and went to town with some wire strippers and butt splices, (remember, this is temporary wiring and will be properly trimmed and soldered once the car is running and the wiring all checks out). As mentioned before, Im using the C101 connector. I have the E30 M3 engine harness, an E34 m20 525i male C101, and then of course the factory 2002 body harness. First step was to write out a detailed diagram of the colors of the wires between both sides of the C101 (E30 M3 vs the E34 525). Ive already trimmed out the unneeded wires from the C101, and added the oil temp pin back in. After some trimming and splicing I was left with this ugly bundle:

2002023_zps138f9f3a.jpg

Mated up the other needed wires with their respective homes: alternator, starter, etc. and like that this dreaded wiring job was complete, at least I hope. Included in the job was running the new wiring to the E30 electric fuel pump and the fuel level sender. 

While on the subject of the fuel pump, I used a break in the weather to remove the fuel tank and pretty it up. After much sanding and a couple wire brushes I was left with this: 

2002011_zps678c84f8.jpg

A couple dents, but overall a solid tank, clean inside and out now. Shot some rattle can primer and some paint next.

2002012_zps79369628.jpg

2002015_zps14fdff12.jpg

I Installed the tank on some 5/16inch rubber weather stripping in the trunk and dropped the final product in (thanks for the tip on the weather stripping mlytle!) Isolates the tank a bit, mainly adds a nice seal to the elements in the trunk since whatever factory gasket is long gone under the fuel tank. 

2002026_zps15dd2cea.jpg

I had been looking for a donor 2002 to come up on either craigslist or pick-n-pull. My wish was granted a couple weeks ago in the San Jose junkyard --> 1976 Chamonix 2002. I grabbed the high pressure metal fuel line from the car, along with some other bits that might come in handy later on. As mentioned previously, the now fuel injected S14 2002 requires a hard fuel line that can hold up to the high pressure of the electric E30 fuel pump. With the factory non Tii 2002s having only 1 metal hard line (used as the return line from the factory), I didnt want to rely on 40 year old plastic for a fuel line, even if it was to be used as the low pressure return line as some swappers do. So out came the old plastic lines along the passenger side of the car and up went the additional hard line. I didnt get a picture, but it runs right next to the existing hardline. 

With the fuel and spark now there for the engine, I turned to the other necessary element of the engine swap, the need to breathe a little oxygen. Enter the Aardvark Racing K&N intake system and AFM mount. I think I got a bit dremel happy many months ago when I removed some metal for the future intake system, Ill build an intake box and isolator eventually to seal off the dead space.

2002020_zps862db7a9.jpg

2002025_zps61b31b9b.jpg

Next to the intake kit is the IE aluminum radiator and the now wired Spal 13" pusher fan:

2002021_zps72ab8a27.jpg

And next door to those is a 19 row Setrab oil cooler with AN fittings and new lines. I cut away a section behind the oil cooler to allow air to flow through it easier, similar to the cut around the K&N intake, but smaller. Eventually these cuts will be cleaned up better when the car get stripped down for paint at some time in the distant future.

2002022_zps7a989944.jpg

Many hours went into fitting coolant and vacuum lines since many need to be hybrids or trimmed a bit. I have both an E30 M3 and a 2002 thermostat, but I think the 2002 unit fits better since i have the late model 2002 with the large bumper mounts by the frame rails. 

Having completed all of that, Im left with a couple unknowns, maybe you S14 guys can chime in. Where do these wires/ connectors go exactly?? I have an idea, but I want to quadruple check, mainly as 3 of the wires (the red ones) were cut at some point in the past. 

2002014_zpsfcd3ca1e.jpg

2002013_zps9b4fe344.jpg

Done for the weekend. First start video will follow this post very soon. 

2002030_zps704858b5.jpg

2002018_zps7a2c24bc.jpg

2002029_zpsa767e59c.jpg

-Ryan

05/87 M3 Hennarot

04/71 2002tii Baikal

yeah!  familiar progress.

dang, i have the parts for that afm/air filter mount in a bin somewhere that i will never use.

thick red wires are 12v power for relays.  lower pic looks like the main or fuel pump relay.

upper plug with brown/yellow go to the fuel vapor purge valve?  don't recall specifically.  if so the wires should trace back to the "third" relay in the harness.

Edited by mlytle

2xM3

On my car, terminal 87 on the fuel relay is snipped. I didn't do the wiring so I can't shed much light on that, but I can say that plugging in a replacement relay with the terminal present on mine commences to let the smoke out of the wiring!

Cheers,

Ray

yeah!  familiar progress.

dang, i have the parts for that afm/air filter mount in a bin somewhere that i will never use.

thick red wires are 12v power for relays.  lower pic looks like the main or fuel pump relay.

upper plug with brown/yellow go to the fuel vapor purge valve?  don't recall specifically.  if so the wires should trace back to the "third" relay in the harness.

Great, so the pair of red wires above the starter I figured went to 12v, does it matter if I wore them into the 12v on the starter?

That main relay in the other picture has a red wire extending off of it, hard to see in the pic as it goes into a plastic black cover towards the connector side. This guy is the one I wanted to double check before I energized it.

Vapor purge valve, eh? Ill trace the wiring back. If so, Id imagine it can be tucked away somewhere as our S14 cars lack smog equipment.

Thanks for the tips!

-Ryan

05/87 M3 Hennarot

04/71 2002tii Baikal

there should be three relays in s14 harness.  main, fuel pump and vapor purge.  the later can be removed, along with its wiring if you are not using the evap canister system.  make sure you plug the opening in the intake it feeds into.   should be a 12v big red wire going to both main and fuel pump relays, and a big red one coming out of the fuel pump relay and main.  one goes to pump, one goes to the ecu.

iirc.  have not looked at the ETM in a while. it is obvious if you are looking at the ETM. 

2xM3

^^Got it, basically the thick red wires need to be energized with 12v. I just wanted to know if I could jump them from my constant hot 12v accessory box or run them of the ignition run position wiring. Sounds like the constant 12v is the way it was on the M3, at least from what Ive read on S14.net thats how it looks. Thanks again!

Christmas came early! I received my 2002 illumination set up from MoBrighta a couple days ago and just opened it up today. Im very pleased with the work Andrew did to make the 2002 more visible when on the road in traffic. 

All the reflective backings for the lights were refurbished and recoated to reflect maximum light. Installed were dual filament HO bulbs and added lamps for more braking light output. Also, he ordered me a Hella LED 3rd brake light and made up a harness to install it (thats still en route). Euro turn signals and rear license plate lamps got the same treatment, HO bulbs in the turns, dinanm3atl (user on R3V) LED festoons in the plate lamps. Andy also sourced me the Hella Euro Super flat-faced headlamps with city lights and provided the bulbs and protective covering. Very happy with the final products and the customer service and organization of the operation. Thanks again MoBrighta! Ill install these once I have the 2002 in front of me and get some real pictures of the work up. 

2002_zpsd83d6203.jpg
Edited by RCM3

-Ryan

05/87 M3 Hennarot

04/71 2002tii Baikal

• 3 weeks later...
This Xmas break was one of my last chances to put some work into the 2002. Since I'm a recent graduate, I had been using December to look for and secure a permanent position. On the 29th I was offered full time work between two dental offices giving me a total of 6 days/ week of work :D . With that in mind, and knowing the car is 2 hours away from my home in the Bay Area I worked around the clock over the break to finish up the last jobs before my opportunities to do so in the future become limited.

There were a few things that I needed to finalize on the engine. First, the coolant plumbing. Finding the hoses that will mate up between the S14, the 2002 components, e21 components, and the aftermarket bits. A few of the S14 hoses worked great, the hoses between the water pump and 2002 thermostat and the coolant crossover pipe to the upper radiator were a different story. I started my hunt at AutoZone in the back staring up at the wall of random hoses. After 30 minutes I found 3 that had the bends in the proper diameter that would work out. Look closely and you can see the Gates P/N's.

A19B08DC-8320-461B-9719-A3AE2EE190E2_zps

8EBB1189-9327-43BE-A1FC-669B833267A3_zps

AC4A7C48-8DEC-4E5A-BF5F-3E5FD5242E25_zps

I copied Marshall's M2 build and used standard 16mm hose to connect the heater core line to the coolant tube under the plenum. The factory 2002 heater core inlet tube works fine as is to connect to the back of the head.

The biggest obstacles are routing the tubing in the tight space left between the radiator and the front of the engine keeping it safely traveling up and around the main crank pulley. Finding a hose with some tighter 90* bends followed by a straight section makes it much easier. Also, on my late model 2002 I found it much easier to use the 2002 thermostat versus the e30 M3 equivalent. The slimmer 2002 housing doesn't rub on the passenger bumper shock mount and has the proper angels to mate up to their respective fittings. One thing I did do to the 2002 thermostat was I sectioned away the 45* bend on the lower tube (the fitting that will mate up with the lower radiator). By sectioning this bend off, you end up with a straight section on the bottom of the thermostat housing, leaving you with a 3 inch straight shot gap to make the connection. 

The vacuum system was about the same as the coolant system. I utilized almost all OEM S14 hoses aside from modifying two OEM hoses to integrate to the 2002. First was the hose between the plenum and the oil separator, it had to be cut in half and added to a copper fitting with a bend in it to clear the oil filter hosing/ oil cooler lines and still mate up. The other was the line from the valve cover also to the oil cooler. It was 4 inches short due to the oil separator being shifted over to make room for the 2002 driver side engine mount. I added a T fitting here and a 1 way valve to give vacuum to the booster and ran the other side of the T back to the oil separator. 

Next up, finishing the oil system. I needed to incorporate the VDO senders for oil temp and oil pressure to my VDO gauges. I left the new OEM factory oil pressure sender for now as I planned on wiring in an idiot light to work off of it. Where the E30 M3 S14 once had a factory oil temp sender, I threaded in an M12 X 1.5 to 3/8 standard fitting. I then could build up a little apparatus to house both VDO senders, and position them where they can be accessed and where they are still out of direct view. In the pic below the oil temp sender isn't installed, the oil pressure sender sits at 45* at the very end of the apparatus about 3 inches from the oil filter housing. 

746C8AF6-41C2-4B9F-ACCF-1D961F4CFF57_zps

Scope creep again. Even though I had the factory headlamps and turn signals installed, the allure to install the new Euro turns and Hella Super Euro headlamps was too great. MoBrighta sent along lens covers to go over the headlamps and keep them crack resistant. Installing these was breeze, just used some H20 and OH- mixed 3:1 and a heat gun. The covering was thick, and I am very pleased how it turned out as they're completely invisible.

P/N for the headlamps:

E667C880-5C56-4968-A027-7BFA4A465D6B_zps

I started first by installing the head lamp bulbs and the city light bulbs.

6057576C-DC06-4208-81A5-38DC16CDEB1A_zps

Next up, made a station for the laminate application.

6101278B-251C-4412-85A7-0DCC9CBA1B99_zps

One done, can you tell which one?

635CFB7B-FD0A-4D2A-B418-71DB518821AC_zps

And both assemblies complete. I resprayed the bucket rings and cleaned up the buckets. Bulbs in, protective covers on both the bulb socket and the glass.

C5823553-015D-475D-9245-D162FD66CA19_zps

Installed:

70A61615-17E0-4CCA-8AC9-502419D6D1DA_zps

150762B7-26A1-4F0B-A13A-67E063145E66_zps

C89B33F2-83B4-4517-999D-751C1B1BEA83_zps

I also spent a night or two improving upon previous projects. For instance, in the throttle cable assembly there was added resistance when depressing the gas pedal. Most of this is from the spring that resists the depression of the gas pedal and returns it back towards the driver, however some was from the way the brackets are designed (if following the Aardvark swap guide). Here is my solution:

Its hard to see whats going on if youve never made these brackets. What happens is when the driver depresses the gas pedal, an arm on the other side of the fire wall moves throughout space in the same plane as the arc the gas pedal travels through as you push it down to accelerate. A bracket is created to attach to the end of this arm and this bracket acts as the anchor point for the throttle cable. Directly above this arm/ bracket assembly, another fabricated bracket mounts firmly to the pedal box assembly to be the connection point for the throttle cable outer sheath (picture any standard throttle cable design with the outer sheath and the inner steel cable). The problem is seen in the tension that can develop as the arm/ bracket pull the throttle cable. Since this arm must swing in an arc to pull the cable, it moves in two planes and causes a sort of pinch point to occur. Ideally, the throttle arm would move in one direction directly away from the bracket that retains the outer sheath of the cable to reduce all tension in the system. To mimic this I made the following modifications to the original bracket design. 

Here are the brackets as they were before modification. The gold nut is attaching the throttle arm to the first bracket mentioned above^. You'll notice the second bracket above these, it has the ~135* bend in it.

252CD942-B246-4D48-828B-4B1095C6377E_zps

My solution was to add a pivot point where the throttle arm and the first bracket meet so that the throttle cable is always being pulled directly away from the mount that secures the outer throttle cable to the pedal box. This greatly reduced the tension that was in the system before the mod. The blue arrow represents the direction of travel of the throttle arm as the gas pedal is depressed.

b112246e-95ed-41da-ad50-8f869f64625a_zps

Here is a better shot of the final product. Basically, I used a few brass NPT fittings to make this. The brass fittings pass through the slightly enlarged hole in the original bracket design plan. On either end of the fitting system are male threads that allow end caps to tighten down and hold everything together. I grabbed the end caps and drilled holes through them the same diameter as the center hollow fitting. Nylon bushing form ACE were pushed into either end and an M5 bolt traveled through these bushings and connects back up with the throttle arm. A nylon lock nut holds it all together and allows rotation to occur still as the nut isn't locked down 100%. I set the drag just so that rotation can occur, but so that there is no slop being produced.

9BBAA047-6766-4DDB-A5A8-708146CA89BE_zps

And finally, that moment when you realize you're ready to add fluids and turn the key. Enter tacky IG pic.

AD8DE53B-7FBA-4DC3-BD03-D6EA266B3618_zps

Fun stuff ahead ;D

-Ryan

05/87 M3 Hennarot

04/71 2002tii Baikal

Ok. Awaiting video clip of first start!

Great progress!

My throttle linkage has a similar pivot point as well.

Happy new year!

Ray