• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear Suspension Mounts -Solid Rubber

scanner

I received an email from Walloth and Nesch today, they have added solid rubber rear suspension mounts to their catalogue http://www.wallothnesch.com/gummilager-ha-motorsportausfuehrung-haertere-gummimischung-voll-ausgegossen-aussen-links-rechts-passend-33-18-09.html?___store=eng they are sold as 'for motorsport' but any opinions of the suitability of solid rubber for street use? My current rear setup is Jaymic lowering springs (30mm drop) and Billy Sports.  

First a little back story.....

I've mentioned this a few times, about 4-5 months ago BMW ran out of the original mounts and ended up switching suppliers (and superseding to a new part number).  We tested to the mounts BMW was selling and found them to be about %20-%30 softer than the oem originals (I kept a few originals on the shelf for the explicit reason testing them in a comparison).

solution......

I'm assuming that W&N discovered this as well and used the old racers trick of filling up the voids of the newer mount with something akin to RTV.   Also following the same methodology are the IE inserts ..... http://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/2002-suspension-steering/02rsbushi.html

I fail to see how you'd notice any increased harshness when these and the IE version are now in the same stiffness ballpark as the original mounts were without any "additives".  And I'm running the original stiffer mounts along with the inserts on my DD and they're perfectly suitable for the task.

Edited by AceAndrew

I second Andrew on this. I rock some older (bout 2 or three years) BMW mounts with the IE spacers, you dont wanna hear my name for em..., but they work great! I really notice a much better handling rear end, I didnt feel the subframe float around as much compared to worn out stock mounts. The bushing that makes it noisy (not counting solid subframe mounts) I've found is the diff hanger bushings. Swap em to urethane and have no seat in the back and you'll think you blew up a diff cause you can hear it do its job and make noise... LOL!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2