• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any1 See The Recent Mecum Auction?...

jrkoupe

I don't like to see the value of these cars escalate- but the market will do what it does.

We have a couple of rough 2002's- a '74 and a '76, that combined set me back $2,300.00- they are rust free but still need a lot of work, and that is the fun in it.

When people spend upwards of $20K on one, and expect the value to go up even more, are they going to drive them like they should be driven?  I hope so... 

I don't like to see the value of these cars escalate- but the market will do what it does.

We have a couple of rough 2002's- a '74 and a '76, that combined set me back $2,300.00- they are rust free but still need a lot of work, and that is the fun in it.

When people spend upwards of $20K on one, and expect the value to go up even more, are they going to drive them like they should be driven?  I hope so... 

20k to many collectors is pocket change.....so many will still be driven. I mean, at the track I see Ferrari GTO's driven in anger...crashed, and then fixed to live again....its all relative.

I guess I'm the only one that thinks it was sold for at least 3 times its value (if indeed it actually sold for $27k).

From the pics it could be a halfway decent repaint (or Maaco?), but the mismatched interior incl a "late" gauge cluster would make me wonder if it was a backstreet resto job. Are those wheels really period correct?

Pity the VIN wasn't noted.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Put me in the camp of people who would not be excited about rising values, part of the reason I think my car is so fun is because I bought it cheap and can run it cheap.  Sure if the value went way up I wouldn't feel bad about getting a crazy offer for the car or my wife getting a nice chunk of change if she sells it when I go to the great Nurburgring in the sky. 

I saw old Austin Healeys rise to the point where it is 10k for a derelict, very rusty, incomplete project. 

The day I come home with a "new" old car is much happier than the day I sell one, so if prices stay low it won't bother me.

As noted, when prices rise you are suddenly competing with posers and speculators for the car you want.

Here is an example of what can happen if it gets out of control.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=281211028141

Lincoln, NE

74 2002

68 Triumph TR250