Any1 See The Recent Mecum Auction?...

jrkoupe

Just watched it on my dvr..I think it is  recent...

off white/yellowish 72......looked at least painted.....aftermarket recaros..built engine..cam, pistons,  dual webers....ansa looking pipes

period Fittipaldi wheels.....

nice car...but not OMG...

$$$$$$27k!!!!..wow....sold well.........bought well?...hmmm...

time to scoop these babies up....

If ours were as nice as this one, a $25-$30K value might make us take better care of what we've got.

Just try to imagine what a really nice one could command. Or a nicely preserved original, Or period correct subtle upgrades(everyone did it), etc.etc......

mac.

Wow that's incredible.  I've seen folks post other 02 auction results - my reaction is usually, "oh wow, that's all?  That's a decent 02!  Someone got a bargain."

This one is more "Whaaaaat?!?"  I mean, it's nice, but we all can see what it is.  

It is a double-edged sword, isn't it?  If they are worth that much, then hey, I can justify putting more money into my car!  It's not just a money pit, it's a smart investment!  BUT, what if my buddy or brother wants to get into 02s for reasonable money...but...can't.  If you sell one, and want another one, you can't pick up a nice one for seven grand anymore.  

Not sure how I feel about it, to be honest.

Scott

Scott..

...that is the dilemma for sure.

We all want our cars to have decent value ......but it aint a free ride.

Not sure if this particular auction is really a barometer of what is happening w/in the 02 market.

While most here prolly bought for the love of the car.....

as values rise they will be bought by "investors" , flippers, and dealers.......thatll change the whole market.

Wow, just saw this on Mecum. Nice to see that if I ever sell I have a chance to recoup a fair size portion of what I have invested. Maybe I'll put a copy of the episode in the glove box to show a potential buyer should that day ever happen.....naw, I'll save this car for my Grandson, by then the car's value should put him through college ha ha.

Actually, I really don't like to see the 2002s climb in price that much.  I know it's kind of inevitable as they get older, but the accessibility is something that I've always loved about the 2002.  It was my very first car back in college because it wasn't too expensive and parts availability was good.  So it makes me rather sad to think that parts, donors, and god forbid I wreck the thing, replacement cars are getting harder and more expensive to come by.  Guess my kids will have to settle for a VW or E30 as their first car instead of a 2002 :(

-Carl

This is great news. Anything pushing price up is always good news. 2002's maybe starting to get more recognition in the auction world. As stated above this one was really nothing special short of cleaned up, and painted. This should make all of you who have tirelessly restored their cars for nothing more than love, smile.

Archived