• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear Coilovers

doug73cs
Go to solution Solved by doug73cs,

I'm looking for examples/how to do's of rear coilover conversions - particularly the reinforcement of the to end shock mount "towers".  I'm slowly going through the Project blog pages - all 34 times 20 of them so any assistance would be appreciated.

Doug

If we learn from our mistakes does that mean I have to make them all?

73 CS Polaris
76 2002a Sahara

Here is how I tackled it. Ideally it would be tied into a cage, but I didn't want a cage in my daily driver...

8457419984_0526589ecb_z.jpg

8409046374_86cda36675_z.jpg

8456218189_80137e599f_z.jpg

One more note, if I did it again, I would make the shock mount taller so I could get more travel out of my coilovers. As it sits now they are dialed almost all the way down.

8896652784_3f4bbfe54f_o.jpg  1976 2002 - M20 swap in progress -- Build thread - http://bit.ly/2002M20build

Thanks Creed, hadn't thought about the height of the towers and length of travel - good point.  

I recall seeing another installation using heavier gauge wall thickness pipe and replacing the OEM towers.  Also thought of doubling up the sheet metal of the wheel arch with a 2" skirt around the tower using plug welds.  

Trying to avoid a roll bar connection.

Doug

73 CS Polaris
76 2002a Sahara

did you try a search on "rear coilover tower"?

one of the first threads returned is this. there are others.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/68229-reinforcing-shock-tower-for-coilover-pics/?hl=rear+coilover+tower#entry115879

you don't have to page through all the project threads. just open ones of interest, then do a thread search on coilover or similar search term.

2xM3

• Solution

Mlytle,

I did variations of "rear coilover" and never thought to include "towers" so thanks for that.  It's always asking the right question that gets the right response.  I'll continue the search but the green one from moespeed looks very familiar and did add 1.5" to the height as suggested by Creede.

73 CS Polaris
76 2002a Sahara

make the shock mount taller

do this, it's easy.  I changed over to a style that allowed a standard 1/2" Heim mount- and added something like 3 inches.

Effectively made 'cow bells' to go in there.

Worked great.  Go to 320i rear trailing arms when you do it.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL