• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Circuit #8 From Fuse Box Out, Fuse Ok?

Malagatii

I tried searching and couldn't come up with my current problem.  Everything on Circuit #8 is out: Parking lights, turn signals, and instrument cluster, but the fuse is OK (I replaced it just to confirm).  I noticed a while back that the instrument cluster was flickering and would only work when the headlight switch was turned all the way over, but even that exact spot was hard to find after a while.  I managed to leave my headlights on the other night when I parked it, and since the parking lights were not illuminated I didn't notice my mistake.  The next morning the battery was low, but the car still started, so some current was still being drawn.

Not sure it matters, but the hazards work just fine too

Any ideas what this could be?  Bad headlight switch??

Thanks

Edit:  Turn signals work too

Edited by Bpbates

1974 2002 Malaga tii (Maggie): Work in progress, daily driver

Sounds like a fuse, smells like a fuse, acts like a fuse. Concentrate on cleaning and checking all cons by fuse box, no where else do all these circuits come togather, after cleaning fuse box top and bottom and relacing all fuses go to your grounds, a wise man once said 99 % of your short circuits are ground related.............somethin like that, maybe it was carbs and ignition..... 

Happy Trails to u~ Dave Miller
76 Golf~Rhiannon~BM Mascot~*~97 328is~Silver Ghost~*~68 1600~Wisperin Beast~*~70-02~Bumble Beast~*~76 02~Beast~

Keep smilin all the way

Thanks.  Good suggestion.  I took apart the fuse box and as far as I can tell everything looks in place on both the top and bottom.  IT's the first Time I've looked under the fuse box and man are there a lot of wires in there... (duh...).

I made a correction to my first posting and my turn signals work fine.  So day time driving is fine with everything seeming normal, its the running lights, license plate  and the instrument cluster lights that are out, so I'm not visible at all from the back at night... until I hit the breaks.  This leads me back to thinking that it might be the headlight switch since it was acting up to begin with...

Thanks for all the feedback. I pulled the cluster yesterday and cleaned the switch and the wiring contacts with electrical contact cleaner and I still have the same problem. Next up is trying to locate a replacement switch. I hope that does the trick.

Just to close this out.  I found a local guy with a switch.  He was nice enough to stop by with his switch and helped me diagnose the problem (he has his own auto shop in Sausalito that specializes in electronics for older cars - Great guy:  A&A auto).  It turnout to be a connector coming off the firewall after we tested the new switch and chased it down by wiggling the associated connectors.  Cleaned out the contacts on the connector and used a very small screwdriver to carefully push in the female side of the connector for a tighter fit.  Works great so far, but I may have to replace/remove the connector at some point.  I paid the guy for his time and help.  I would have been chasing it down for a while at a lot more $$.

Thanks for everyone's help.