• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 Baur Targa Questions...

1972_Targa

A couple of Baur Targa-related questions. I'm replacing the seal that runs around the front of the roll bar section (thanks C.D. for advice on tracking down a new seal). As you can see, my current seal (probably original) is in a very bad way. My first question is there some small plate missing from both sides (possibly about the size/shape of my pink area in the photo) that would hold the corners of the seal in place? I removed 2 small screws from each side (holes are visible). Seems odd. Creating a pair out of aluminum might make sense.

Second question concerns how much actual room for adjustment I have with the hardtop fasteners/hardtop roof section. My new seal is so much fatter (and not compressed) than my old one, and now pushes the hardtop section so far forward that pulling the front fasteners closed is almost impossible. I know there is limited adjustments possible with the fasteners as they mount into the windshield frame. I'm assuming the 2 posts in the hardtop roof section are fixed in place.

Thanks in advance for any advice/Targa wisdom. 

post-41346-0-78604900-1379021322_thumb.j

Edited by 1972_Targa

Paul Huber

1972 2002 Baur Targa in Baikal & 1971 2002 Pickup in Silver/Surf

"The more you know, the less you need."

—Aboriginal Saying

My E1 Baur is set up a little differently, so I can't really offer you any advice.  

I have sent word out to some other Baur Targa owners, linking this thread, so, hopefully, you will get some feedback on this.  I will also post your question in Baurspotting a little later.

UPDATE:  Posted in Baurspotting!

http://baurspotting.blogspot.com/2013/09/baur-targa-cabrio-help-needed.html

Also posted in the Facebook Baur Owners page, and 2002 bimmerforums.

Tom

Edited by tomscat1

Tom

Connecticut

Home for Feral BMWs

1973 2002 Malaga (with frosting), 1982 323i Baur

1991 325ix (winter), 1977 320i (carbed), 1989 325ix

1989 325iC (summer), 1979 323i (project), 1978 320i (parts)

http://baurspotting.blogspot.com/

Hi Paul

Tom alerted me to your dilemma since I don't come here too often anymore. 

I have the same gasket to replace.   You are missing simple flat pieces of aluminum which you should be able to fabricate out of aluminum   See below. 

I suspect that like with all new gaskets some compression set will be needed.   So you are probably ok once you get the top on and its compresses some

Good luck

TopDetail_zps6dc6e18d.jpeg

Hello Paul H,

I have a 1974 Targa Baur with similar problems. The answer to question #1 is easy. Yes indeed, those areas shaded in purple are little aluminum triangles. As far as your first question goes. There is no ajustments in the pins or latches that I know of? I have had my latches out numerous times. They fit in the windshield channel very tight. The pins are fixed into the metal roof. I would like to share more information about our cars. Where are you located? I am in New Hampshire. Do you have a metal roof or an after market plastic top? Does the vinyl on your roof fit tight to the metal roof or is there a lttle bit of padding bettween the roof and the vinyl. My roof has a little bit of foam padding bettween the roof and the vinyl.  I am presntly in the process of removing my poorly installed vinyl and replacing it with new. I just need to know if padding bettween the vinyl and roof was original?

Regards,

David

Thanks much to Tom (as always, the great Baur connector), Mike and David. Again, per C.D.'s advice, I found both the front and rear roll section seals through BMW (purchased through Max at Maximillian). I'll post part #s later on both seals. 

Mike, thanks for the pic. Exactly what I was looking for. Funny, I've owned my Targa twice (10 year gap), and seems it came back with some improvements, but a few items missing/messed up (case in point). And I recently removed the back seat and side panels out of my Targa. The PO had attempted to get rid of some light surface rust in both rain collector boxes by spraying on some sort of thick weather-proofing. So thick that it had totally blocked up the openings/drain holes leading to the drain tubes. Yikes! Cleaned/scrapped all the weather-proofing, opened the drain holes, wire brushed any surface rust and applied rust converter for now. Next step is to repaint, replace the drain tubes and apply new weather seals. 

David, no padding between my original roof exterior and the vinyl. I'd also ask the shop (I assume you're using one) how they normally cover removable roof sections.

It would be great to be able to connect with other 2002 Baur Targa owners in that there are so many challenges specific to these cars. For what's that worth, my email is paulhuber26@gmail.com. Happy Friday.

Edited by 1972_Targa

Paul Huber

—Aboriginal Saying

It would be great to be able to connect with other 2002 Baur Targa owners in that there are so many challenges specific to these cars. For what's that worth, my email is paulhuber26@gmail.com. Happy Friday.

Hi Paul,

FWIW, Facebook Baur owners Group is an opportunity for Baur Owners of all kinds to share info and even live chat.  It is still a rather small group, but growing slowly.  That may be a place to start, if you dont mind being in Facebook.  Not everyone likes it, some have concerns about the 'social media'. etc.  

I share some of those concerns, but for some things like this, it can be a great resource!    Someone can also start a sub-group for 2002 Baur Targa owners if there is sufficient interest.....  and that can be tightly controlled to allay anyone fears about security issues, etc.  

https://www.facebook.com/groups/17389371955/

I would suggest that you take a look, check it out, and see if you like it.  If you would like to consider setting up something for '02 Targa folks, let me know.  I can help get that set up for you.... it is really pretty easy to do.

Hell, I might just do it anyway!  You know..... "Build it, and they will come", and all that!   

Stay tuned!

;)

Edited by tomscat1

Tom

Connecticut

Home for Feral BMWs

1973 2002 Malaga (with frosting), 1982 323i Baur

1991 325ix (winter), 1977 320i (carbed), 1989 325ix

1989 325iC (summer), 1979 323i (project), 1978 320i (parts)

http://baurspotting.blogspot.com/

Tom, thanks much. I'll more than likely start a 2002 Baur Targa FB page (maybe I can woo a few Targa owners from the FAQ to sign on). 

Edited by 1972_Targa

Paul Huber

—Aboriginal Saying