• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bmw Coulda Learned A Thing Or Two From Ford

jerry

i've been taking a couple weeks away from working on my 02tii rust restoration to get an older 1966 Ford F250 truck back in running shape.  I plan on having it be my winter driver during the rainy season.  anyhow, i decided to tackle the front windshield gasket because it was old, cracked and hard as a rock on the outside.  i was fully expecting the worst, as an 02 owner, under the windshield gasket is a typical rust nest.  to my great surprise, no rust!!!  i am dumbfounded over this.  why couldn't the 02's be like this?  this truck is nearly 50 years old and the gasket looks every bit as old.

post-9295-0-22192800-1378693334_thumb.jp

post-9295-0-03746400-1378693380_thumb.jp

post-9295-0-22747500-1378693410_thumb.jp

i spent a couple hours prepping the area for primer and rust protection.  this truck will never see bondo or a spray gun.  all paint for this truck, other than my rust protection stuff, is Rustoleum industrial yellow in a spray bomb.   my plan is to keep it mechanically tip-top, but looking like an old farm truck.  i figure the next person after me can make it pretty.  hopefully, by that time, it'll be considered an antique...

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Thought they all had chrome trim around the windshield.

To answer your question with a question, why are there so many Fords in demolition derbies, and so few BMW 2002s?     

1973 tii, agave, since 1992

1973 tii block 2763759

1967 Mustang GT fastback, since 1986

1999 Toyota 4Runner, 5 speed, ELocker, Supercharged

Thought they all had chrome trim around the windshield.

To answer your question with a question, why are there so many Fords in demolition derbies, and so few BMW 2002s?     

The chrome trim came on the 'up-market' versions, like the Custom Cab variants.  This truck was the rock-bottom lowest-cost version available at the time.  barest of minimum chrome (emblems, a little on the dash).  no extraneous trim.  painted grill and bumpers and no hubcaps or AM radio and the low-end 6 cyclinder engine (240 vs. 300).  The simplicity is what really grabbed me on this truck.  it sold on ebay for $450 (one bidder) and i hunted the buyer down to buy it off him several weeks later for $1000.  i was happy to get it at that price and considered his time and effort to trailer it from Stockton to Santa Rosa and get it running worth the added cost. 

As for demolition derby's, i'm guessing it's the fact that the sheetmetal in this truck is thicker and tougher than the BMW sheetmetal of that era.  I can't comment on modern Ford's, though.  banging out dents takes a real hammer and not my toy body hammers i use on the 02.

Stockton may not rain much, but the tulle fog did a number on the undercarriage.  there's surface rust underneath to be dealt with someday.  i'd love to remove the bed and do a little work underneath.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

• 4 weeks later...

Lodi for 7 years, welcome to the land of 5 seasons, fog is the fifth. In the mountains now and cant say I miss it, although dicing through a load of 2x4s on I-5 at 4 am on a very foggy day cemented my relationship with BMW

Happy Trails to u~ Dave Miller
76 Golf~Rhiannon~BM Mascot~*~97 328is~Silver Ghost~*~68 1600~Wisperin Beast~*~70-02~Bumble Beast~*~76 02~Beast~

Keep smilin all the way