• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering Slow To Return To Center After Rebuild

I finally started to put some miles on my '02 after several of years of sitting and a refresher over the winter.

Things that I have done to the Front Suspension:

Bilstein Sports

New Strut Bearings (Washer stacking was installed correctly)

IE Fixed Camber Plates

IE Stage 2 Springs

Rebuilt steering box (Checked adjustment to ~8-10inlb at column w/o pitman arm attatched)

New Track Rod/Tie Rods

new Ball Joints

New Control Arms/Bushings

New radius arm bushings

New idler arm bushings (Torqued to idler arm to spec *Roughly 50-60 ftlb, don't remember off hand*)

IE Anti-Roll Bar

One thing I noticed was that the Idler arm seemed to be rather tight. and the bushings were rather tight when they were installed. Is this the source of my difficulty? I was thinking that it would initially be tight and start to wear in. I only have ~100 miles on the suspension rebuild.

Thanks

Isaac

Edited by backtrail69

'87 325 4dr, '74 2002

x2  ALIGNMENT  measurements :

Front Toe ___________________

Front Camber_______________

Front Caster_________________

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

you can get toe aligned perfectly with toe plates.....

caster and camber are a different issue.  but those are not adjustable on a 2002.  unless you assembled something wrong or the car was in a bad accident in its life, those should not be the problem.

2xM3

you can get toe aligned perfectly with toe plates.....

caster and camber are a different issue.  but those are not adjustable on a 2002.  unless you assembled something wrong or the car was in a bad accident in its life, those should not be the problem.

I did an alignment to near zero toe with the first steering box It had (was worn out and wasn't happy with it)  and haven't rechecked the toe since then, but I didn't touch the tie rods so I *assumed* it was still ok, but it may be out. 

I am still a little worried about the idle arm bushing it is normal for that to be VERY stiff when new? With the old bushing the idle arm was fairly "loose". 

'87 325 4dr, '74 2002

I had a stiff new idle arm bushing and I ended up reducing the torque a bit to free it up. I remember a post a few years back about different idle bushings for different years, but I don't think that was my issue.

While fixed camber plates are not technically "adjustable", they may have a bit of caster built into them. More caster increases self centering and high-speed stability, at a slight increase of steering effort. It is possible to install the plates incorrectly (switching left and right), but that would decrease caster and lighten the steering feel, as well as reducing negative camber when you wanted to increase it.

FWIW

--Fred '74tii & '69 DCOE

Edited by FB73tii

--Fred

'74tii (Colorado) track car

'69ti (Black/Red/Yellow) rolling resto track car

'73tii (Fjord....RIP)