• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strong Exhaust Smell. Help!

So as the title reads, I am having a problem with a strong rich exhaust odor that shows up after sustained throttle use when I lift off the gas almost instantaneously a rich smelling exhaust odor fills the cabin. I haven't been able to hear any exhaust leaks. Could it be coming from something in the engine bay? Could it be an aerodynamic issue where the draft of the car is catching the exhaust and recirculating it? This one is stumping me...

Special thanks to: Andrew from Ireland Engineering, Richard from Beyond '02, and Bryce 'DenverTii' here on FAQ

All have been incrediblly helpful and invaluable resources. Thank you!

A common area that folks look at for addressing exhaust smell in the cabin is the trunk seal. Apparently due to airflow around the rear of the car, a dead spot is created, and exhaust can seep into the trunk and then into the cab. Check the condition of your trunk seal and that the trunk closes snuggly. I'm sure others will chime in with additional areas to check.

Makes sence. Are we talking about the seal from outside of the car into the trunk or trunk to cabin?

Special thanks to: Andrew from Ireland Engineering, Richard from Beyond '02, and Bryce 'DenverTii' here on FAQ

All have been incrediblly helpful and invaluable resources. Thank you!

1.  Check the large rubber seal, between the trunk lid and the body of the car.  Make sure there are no gaps.

2.  Check the two trunk vents; they are in the trunk, up underneath the rear deck.  They are black plastic.

3.  Check all of the seals under the front hood.  There are 4; one long seal running the width of the underside of the hood; two side seals on each front inner fender; and a small seal at the rear of the underside of the hood.

4.  Check your firewall for any open/unsealed holes, such as holes drilled to run wires, etc.

5.  Make sure the breather line from your valve cover vents into the air cleaner, or otherwise is properly vented outside of the engine bay.

6.  Check for exhaust leaks.

Since it appears the smell is most pronounced after hard acceleration, I suspect the valve cover vent/breather may be the culprit.  It could be blow-by from worn valve seals.

Stu.

I always do it right the second time.

1970 2002 Chamonix (Fiona)

1976 2002 Chamonix (Blanche), '73 2002 Colorado (Nemo), '72 2002 Riviera, '74 2002 Atlantik, '71 1600 Sahara (Binkley) all sold