• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

• 1 month later...

It lives again! The sensor bracket got in the way for the belt, so I had to do some modifications. Got most of the stuff up and running. Had high hopes for finishing most of the work during the Easter-break. 

Done list:

Get MJ up and running w/o MJ box.

Installed, radiator pulleys and belt(could not fit mech. fan, not enough clearance, why?)

Put hood back on, and align

Stock steelies(just painted) on 165/80-13s  on car, 

Wash and vacuum

Did some tidying up in the parts bin

Short-term to do list:

Find out why fuel still leaks out of the horns

Buy and install new exhaust

Map ignition

Make plug for distributor hole

961060_689425747784247_1624822027_n_zpsd

10264745_689425754450913_105369443_n_zps

Edited by Rustpile

• 1 month later...

Like this thread, my car has been revived. I have had some problems, so I attached the threads I´ve started. I am so grateful for you guys spending your time helping me and others. I hope to contribute as well, when I learn some more.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/155234-fuse-6-blow-instantly/

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/154868-leaking-from-distributor-cover/#entry988498

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/154428-get-engine-running-debugging-of-the-02/#entry986762

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/154287-engine-wont-stop/#entry986173

I had a shop tune my carbs and do the biennal safety inspection. They decided they were not able to tune them after all, but did the biannual test. Failed of course. Fixed the ground problem, and replaced a bulb. Have to adjust the headlights tomorrow, and fitted a hoseclamp to the hazard-light button. I discovered that there is a common problem with them popping out again after you press them in. Well, if you squeeze the part where the button and the relay joins, it work as it should. Since driving while squeezing a button is stupid, I used a hoseclamp.

Did some minor adjustments to the carbs, and it works better now. It still stumbles and backfires a bit, but it runs really good when you get the revs up.

I think Batman describes this engine best. Its like: Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-BAAAAAAATMAAAAAAN! Meaning no power before 3500-ish, and then it just takes off. Going to take it for a new control ASAP, and I really need a new likage. It sucks. You have to use a truck to push the gas pedal.

Passed biennal inspection with flying colors(yellow)! Driven it a bit today, and new jets are being shipped from Eurocarbs tomorrow hopefully. With some luck, and expressmail, I hope to have them by midweek. The engine gets really hot though. You could probably touch the valve cover, but it would hurt, and you might just get some burns. Even the hoses are really hot. It´s like holding a paper cup with coffee, not painful, but slightly unpleasant. I´d say the engine gets 7 hot, on a scale from cod to tomato. The temp gauge in the car shows just under half-way though(maybe 4/10).

Anyhairs, that might get better when I get the new jets and chokes.

Current setup:

210 airs

195 main

65 idle

45 pump

7772.13 emulsion tubes

7850.1 idle holder

37 mm chokes

New setup:

180 airs

135 main

58 idle

40 pump

7772.5 emulsion

7850.1 idle holder

34 mm chokes

So that is kind of a lot of change. Pictures! Wohoo!

2448f449-645e-4e44-8c1d-d8739e1964b3_zps

fa2c8c7c-95e9-4600-92b1-faa6022eee6e_zps

• 5 months later...

After some time abroad in Germany, I am now back, and first order of business was to lose my head. Pictures of that. I don´t really know how bad/good this is. Anyone? Some soot on top of all the pistons, I assume that is good. Valves, not so good. And what about the valve guide? It seem like a piece has broken off? Can I still use it if so? It looks new.

DSC_0149_zpsa4cbc521.jpg

DSC_0154_zps84a41505.jpg

DSC_0154_zps84a41505.jpg

DSC_0154_zps84a41505.jpg

DSC_0149_zpsa4cbc521.jpg

DSC_0146_zps03823220.jpg

Edited by Rustpile

• 1 month later...

An update, long overdue, at the moment I am just busy with life, and a mini-project on a newly acquired parts-hauler. 

I had the head rebuilt, unfortunately, the machine shop forgot to let me know that the head already was on its last legs, after some serious damage in a previous turbocharged life. This caused the combustion chambers to have a lot of pitting, that of course, means that a 90 mm headgasket would leak. I would of course have just used another head had I knew this. On the bright side, I used a S14 headgasket, being from an M3, I must have gained 10 bhp, at least. 

DSC_0195_zpsxzrjvhzi.jpg

This is what that looks like. 

Also decided to make a new bracket for the EDIS sensor, that is in the correct position this time. It´s not very thick, but it is 1 mm stainless, so it should not be too bad. 

DSC_0194_zpszszsskb6.jpg

Fun and games at the kitchen table, putting things together. It really is much more fun to work in a well lit room, and temperatures above freezing. And the access to the bolts are also very comfortable, the lower bolts on the manifold are not fun when the head is in the car, cylinder head, that is.

DSC_0193_zps7n7gz4jy.jpg

After some time with fiddeling and triple checking cam timing marks. OT mark, crank mark and camshaft mark all line up, even after 2-3-4-5-6 rotations by hand. Lost the chain, so I had to make sure. Seems to have turned out well. Not done yet, but I am moving the car to the heated shop for the weekend, so I just did the most important stuff now, so I could tow it. 

DSC_0200_zpsqeqpbifb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

As always, things just seems like they refuse to work properly. I am still having problems with overheating the head and exhaust. It becomes very warm, very fast. I can not figure out what it is. 

Carbs rebuilt, new gaskets on intake, head rebuilt, fuel pressure is 2psi. Timing is OK(14-16 degrees at idle-ish). I know that timing is not great yet, but it should not be this bad. 

Uploaded a picture, just for you guys to look at. At least it´s not too shabby anymore. And my new daily is in working order, mostly. 

IMG_20150208_170306_zps54maulgx.jpg

DSC_0182_zpshkpi7hfx.jpg

• 1 month later...

Aaaaaand it works. I hope. Driven it around town today, Smells oil, but that is from the leaking dipstick, I hope. Just going to drive it a little bit before I go looking for more stuff to fix, it might just need to settle properly. 

Fixed a leaking valve cover gasket by replacing the valve cover. Also fixed the problem with the leaking carbs once and for all I hope. It involved JB Weld. Adjusted the valves, they were not too bad, but nice to have it done. Still a bit of cluking and ticks. Movie for you guys. Listed the first 5 seconds, before I just made it noisy. Follow the link :-)  And a lovely picture of my ratty valve cover.

DSC_0226_zpssyvwn5i3.jpg

http://vid1287.photobucket.com/albums/a638/OleJKD/MOV_0225_zpsmjgyq1oq.mp4

• 6 months later...

End of season, and it was a good one at that. I put in some recaros from a Lancia Delta Integrale, they did fit nicely, but were not terribly pretty. Today, I went back to the stock seats that I´ve fixed during the summer. I also worked out some kinks with the engine, and it runs good now. Feels good to know how quick a 02 with this spec is. 

Wife and I went to the annual 02 Meet as well, as it was relatively close by, still, we drove some 400 miles that weekend. Also attended a couple of Cars&Coffee meets. This winter will be tinkering, and coilovers. Both of us started new jobs recently, and we move to new apartment in November, so there won´t be a lot of time for the 02. Just going to hope for another nice season. 

WP_20150930_19_24_42_Pro_zpszhnadbjx.jpg

• 1 month later...

Did coilovers in front. Still in love with all those 120-130 hp. It just runs so good now. A lot of rubbing, but new tires next season will probably help. I will attest to the well known fact; don´t go chasing more power until you have done a good tuneup. 

046f2799-b3bb-459e-b046-ee486ce6787e_zps

• 1 year later...

Long overdue for an update, but I dont have one. Kinda. 

I dont enjoy the car much anymore. It´s not the cars fault, of course, but I can´t afford to fix things as I want to, so I have to "mend" it and work around the problems, and I have been for the last year and a half. Nor do I have the space or all the tools really. So for the moment it is in storage, and in need of a biannual check(state law). I could write a lot about this but I am sure most of you guys where I am coming from. I was set on selling it, but my wife decided against it. We decided, she said. I would regret it. I am still not sure, with the prices they are fetching these days it would allow me to get a project motorcycle(I really want to build a Ducati 900SS tracker) and trade up the Thundercat(75.000 miles on it, it´s time). 

Anyways, it´s in storage until I the house I haven´t even started building is finished. That is the plan at least. I am tired of not doing it justice. I realize I am no master mechanic, but it needs some real money, a garage with a lift where I can work whenever I want to, without the car being in the way, and I have time to do so. 

This might result in a car that decays for ten years before I give up. I hope not. I hope it will bring me and my family joy for many years, and I hope I someday can pass it on to a son or a daughter who will bring it on new adventures. I bought the car when i was 19, and it holds memories of trips, it holds parts made and labor by friends and family who have passed.  We also used it at our wedding. For now, the story is at a halt. 

IMG_1068_Ink_LI_zps4nzcvdca.jpg

IMG_1080_zpsrzqjys2b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well these things happen.  

When I was just married, just out of college, I thought I would end up selling my tii.  I would need a reliable car for commuting, AC would be nice to have, the salt on the roads in winter would kill the tii, etc.  It turned out that I got a job that provided a company car.  So I didn't have to sell the tii after all.  But we lived in an apartment with one parking space, and I gave that to my wife.  So I rented a cheap garage across town and kept the tii there.  I went and visited it regularly - starting it, driving it.  

After a few years, we bought our first house, which had a two car garage.  So the tii was back at our house.  I started driving it more, working on it more.  that was 25 years ago.  So I ended up keeping it, and I still use it all the time.  

The moral of the story is, you never know how things will work out.  If you keep the car, at the very least you still have it in case the fire becomes re-kindled for some reason.  If for years and years you don't touch it, and don't miss it, then...maybe you cut it loose to someone that would use it and create their own memories with it.  

Just some thoughts.

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI