• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Red Light

dansacto13

This is funny. I waited 10 years to own my first 2002 and now in two months I have 2 of them!!!!

That's right. I bought my first one in January, and a couple of days ago this lady stops me on the side of the road to tell me that her husband died 6 years ago andhe left a red 73' 2002 (roundie) and she wants to get rid of it. So..I ended up buying it. I drove it for the first time today, and it feels great.

However, when I came back from my 20 mins drive the red light on top of the speedometer, the one with an "L' on it, next to the one with an 'O', went on. I guess 'O' stands for "oil', but can't figure out what the 'L' is for.

It's probably something really easy, but can not come up with it.

Cheers..

00OWNERSHANDBOOKLAST.jpg

YES! photos please!!

you owe it to yerself and the cars to find

BMW Owner's handbooks which will

tell you everything about operation,

maintanence and technical data so you can

preserve these cars

"L" = look at the 3-wire plug at the back of the alternator

for looseness, dirt, broken wires, look at the battery cables

and ground wires - should be attached clean and tight

Photos of the alternator and battery area

will likely solve it pronto

Welcome

021968GAUGEandTAILITES.jpg

from your BMW Repair Manual :

BMWDiodediagnosis.jpg

02HANDBOOKinsidepages.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Thanks to Daron and C.d.iesel for their help. I will post pics of both cars soon. I will also update my profile. I'm so happy with both cars. My 74' is running and looking great (not 100% yet). The 73' red one did really well on its first driving test. I love the history on this one. The previous, and only owner, bought it from the dealer in Germany in 1973 while in the military. Then, in 1981, he brought it to the States. He died of cancer in 2006 and the car has not been driven since then.

The wife speaks wonders of the guy and the good times they shared with this car. She was in tears when I went to get it.

The car still has the original paint in good shape, the black interior is 'perfect',and it seems to drive and shift fine. It seems that he was working in the 'turn' signal switch because the part is missing and the steering column is open. Also, for some reason the head lights will not go on. All the other lights work.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the car yet. Anyway, thanks again.

Cheers..