• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NK Project Update

Mike,

Looking forward to seeing you, in Elkton VA, in the near future!

Regards,

Randy

"To live life without belief is more terrible than dying...., even more terrible than dying young." Joan of Arc

"It is not a sign of good health to be well adjusted to a sick society." J. Krishnamurti

Well   After being embarrassed greatly with my cars' "pimp my ride look" with all the negative camber and being 5 inches lower than Luis' at Mid America I got to work    I replace the rear trailing arm bushing which were shot (only thing I did not touch on the suspension during resto) and this weekend I took off the HRs and put stock 02 springs on it.    Raised it about an inch or maybe slightly more.    Rides nice and I can get the hydraulic jack under it now   :)    And just the right amount of negative camber.    No longer embarrassed   :)

post-32240-0-46720100-1405860656_thumb.j

Looks great Mike - you can stop wearing baggy clothes and fake tattoos now. It's probably in this thread already, but what are your bumper plans? Just bought a new front panel for mine so one step closer to new paint, and the 12v conversion is done. Happy days.

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

Hi Nick    Bumpers are still up in the air    I have them, some dents and all pieces need re-chroming     That is not cheap    I like the TiSa race car look   :)    As soon as I hit the lottery, I will get them chromed     :)

I loved  your car the way it was back at the Bav Tour in 2011 so I am sure it will now look even better.  

Guess I did not realize you had not converted it over.   So far my 02 instruments in the cluster are working great as is the tach with the resistor in series dropping the 12 to 6 volt.   

Cheers

Hi Nick    Bumpers are still up in the air    I have them, some dents and all pieces need re-chroming     That is not cheap    I like the TiSa race car look   :)    As soon as I hit the lottery, I will get them chromed     :)

I loved  your car the way it was back at the Bav Tour in 2011 so I am sure it will now look even better.  

Guess I did not realize you had not converted it over.   So far my 02 instruments in the cluster are working great as is the tach with the resistor in series dropping the 12 to 6 volt.   

Cheers

When I bought my first NK bumpers were available new from BMW - not cheap, but not expensive either. My body work has gone down hill since you saw it in 2011. With my tilux parts car I got a set of gauges, but didn't like the wood centres, so after a lot of fiddly work they all came apart and I swapped the faces with the originals - so now there's a clock in the middle of the multi-gauge but without any markings, I like the minimalist look. Even got the clock to work with a bit of solder - first working clock in a bmw ever for me, and that's 25 years or so!

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

• 4 months later...

Well      I decided to put the bumpers on and after cleaning the ones I had up and pulling an 02 front center section out of the barn (yep, the center sections are the same) and with the help of Mike B who gave me a nice bumper end, the little car now has bumpers.   

IMG_52211024x768_zpsf212beb1.jpg

IMG_52231024x768_zps2ad3d70f.jpg

On a sad note, I have decided to put the car up for sale to finance my next project, a 1600 Ti clone.   That plus all my storage spots are full, the barn the garage, the trailer.    It is so hard to decide which one after putting all the time we do into these projects.    But if anyone is interested here is the ad for the car     Tell your friends   :)

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/carsforsale/bmw/1800/1692733.html

Sweet ride Mike - looks even better with the bumpers installed!  Good luck with the sale - love the Turf color and all your modifications.

Are you planning on using Solex or Webers for the ti?

Jim

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Wellll.....   The sad day finally came last week when the NK was picked up for it journey to its new owner.    Folks in the NE be on the look out, car will live in Vermont with a very nice fellow.   I could not be happier with who the car is going to and some of you have been introduced to him already.   He may sign on to the forum later.   Kind of hard to let it go after all the fun I had building it but I have already started work on the 1600 Ti and needed the room (and the funds)

To help us feel better about it we had the seats done in Eileen's Baur with hounds tooth material from Germany that Jeffrey got for us from Andy   Nice Mother's Day present too!  Ain't I sneaky   :)

Hopefully one day I can return to the NK world, I am still looking for that special 2000CS   :)

post-32240-0-55016700-1431271613_thumb.j

post-32240-0-87731100-1431271668_thumb.j

post-32240-0-88301200-1431271703_thumb.j

I'm very happy to be the new owner of this 1800, and thrilled that Mike was willing to entrust it to my care!  I'll do my best ...  

It is truly a pleasure to drive, whether on the back roads or on the interstate.  It has been about 20 years since I scrapped my beloved '76 2002 (which I had bought new), but this is definitely a step up.  Thanks, Mike!