• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 2002ti Alpina Upgrades

mommyknows

on the whole, a VERY nice looking car. a couple of minor items which could be updated to finalize the look:

the emblem on the rear valence looks like it is the larger style, the ti should have the smaller raised letter style. also this area would have been body coloured, not black when original.

the rear bumper over-roders are the large later style, not the small euro style.

the rear deck lid is form a later car. not sure if you'd want to replace it now becuase it might be hard to match the body paint.

the "2002ti" grill badge is on the wrong bars, it should be in the middle of the middle 2 black bars, not the middle of the upper 2 black bars.

otherwsie, it looks very good, and legit. i agree on the interior, it is a nice period upgrade, and i would leave it in.

obvioulsy it would be necessary to test the paint depth to ensure there wasn't too much bondo in the re-spray, and also i might poke gently into some of the nasty spots typical on a Canadian car. for example, under the rear seat, how do the rear sub frame mounting points look?

final note - the brake fluid looks low, and old.

I'm being pretty picky though. good luck with the sale, and let's hope it gets driven and appreciated!

Jon

'69 2002ti

and others

Greetings from Calgary. My brother and I sold a very original 2002ti that was in excellent condition about a year ago. I would be happy to share the price with you offline if that would be of any assistance in helping you set your price.

grbbenny@gmail.com

Given the scarcity of ti's, particularly in North America, and the even greater scarcity of actual sale data, now THAT sounds like useful information!

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I can think of a couple very nice, unmolested original 2002tis that sold in the past couple of years in the $15-20k range. There are about 25-30 2002tis known in North America. That number is not exact as some cars were confirmed as rust buckets and I don't know if they still exist.

This car....I did not have any records of it in the Registry I keep, so it's a first since Richard Poole started keeping tabs in the early '70s. Jon is right to ask about Canadian rust, given the car's age and the photographic evidence of rocker panel work. I would also wonder about the fender flares, are they steel or fiberglass?

The big question about this car is whether it was built or worked on at Alpina, or if it has some Alpina parts added, possibly later, when it was restored. I sent the seller an email asking if she might be able to dig up more information on the car's history, maybe even pictures before it was restored. This would really help establish the provenance for those interested in buying and give the car more value.

vince

Vince I managed to find the original owner. He's still kicking YAY!

This car started out as a regular 2002ti.

It was restored and Alpina parts added.

The flares are ALL steel. They too are Alpina.

Original owner is gathering up a bunch of info for me. Including images of this car winning Hill Climbs in 70's. it was raced many times.

I'd also like to point out again that this car was imported by the first owner, who also was a bmw dealer and importer. He also restored the car.

More pics to come.

Small world. My brother used to sell cars at the local BMW dealership and Larry was his boss at the time the car was being built up. My brother (who had his own 2002 at the time with twin Weber 45s) helped him jet the Webers and recalls lots of details about the car. Tell him hello from Mike Bennett if you talk to him again.

I'm starting to feel old.

Was your brother's name Remi? Larry mentioned a Remi ...

No, my brother's name is Mike. He was probably referring to Remi Petrelli (sp?) - he owned the premier auto body shop in Calgary at the time, Continental Auto Body. He undoubtedly would have worked on the car.

You and Mike should come and see the Car in Canmore in April. :)

You and Mike should come and see the Car in Canmore in April. :)

I'd love to see it. I'm in Canmore most weekends. One of the dumbest automotive moves I ever made was selling my 1971 2002 Alpina - the Calgary dealership ordered two cars, had them shipped to Alpina for modification and then imported them here. It was also Colorado Orange. Hmm - who says you can never go back?

Graham