• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coilover suggestions

anorelli

Low car ------- cool.

Tires rubbing on fender arches when turning ------ not so cool.

2 inches, not a problem.

No amount of skill or education will ever replace dumb luck
1971 2002 (much modified rocket),  1987 635CSI (beauty),  

2000 323i,  1996 Silverado Pickup (very useful)

Too many cars.

The claimed 1.5inch drop on stage 2's is pretty conservatively rated. It's closer to 1 5/8" + and then you can fiddle with the removal of 1/2 coil and some playing with the different rubber rear spring mounts.

As Marshall said, there's alot of information out there. For example ....

http://www.project2002.com/Project_2002/Tech2-suspension.html

http://project2002.com/Project_2002/Gallery_5.html

are you kidding? a search on "coilover"

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,search/mode,results/?search_keywords=coilover&search_author=&search_forum=-1&search_time=0&search_fields=all&search_cat=-1&sort_by=0&sort_dir=DESC&show_results=topics&return_chars=200

you don't need "coilovers" to lower a car. a shorter or cut spring will make it lower. technically 2002's come stock from factory with a "coilover" suspension. coilover is the coil spring wrapped around the shock. exactly what the mcpherson strut suspension the factory put in the car is. an ADJUSTABLE coilover suspension has the lower spring perch on a threaded sleeve that allows height adjustment.

2xM3

I've been looking for a set of coilovers for my 74 2002, and I can't seem to find a set that will lower the car more than 2". Does anyone know of a manufacturer or any suggestions of how to lower the car more than that? Thanks in advance for the help.

All the current stuff (ground control, IE kit, etc) will get your car WAY lower than 2" if you want. If you follow the Ground Control instructions and cut out the 2" section of the strut and use a shorter insert you can a 4-6" drop pretty easily.

any threaded collar strut conversion will lower a car more than 2in. just use a shorter spring.

this is assuming you use a proper damper inside the strut that wont bottom out.

of course this is just for the front. rear still needs a shorter spring/shock setup too.

2xM3

All the recommendations point to removing 2in from the strut and rewelding it with a collar. See attached diagram.

I'll tell you from my experience that you would be fine taking 2.5in off and buying yourself another .5in of shock travel. You're going to need to run VW Rabbit front struts with a spacer at the bottom anyway because they will be too short, so you might as well take off another .5in because it won't hurt.

Jason

post-23201-13667667965654_thumb.jpg

'73 2002tii Fjord

'02 M3 Convertible Jet Back/ Imola

All the recommendations point to removing 2in from the strut and rewelding it with a collar. See attached diagram.

I'll tell you from my experience that you would be fine taking 2.5in off and buying yourself another .5in of shock travel. You're going to need to run VW Rabbit front struts with a spacer at the bottom anyway because they will be too short, so you might as well take off another .5in because it won't hurt.

Jason

Jason...

do you have an email addie ...I have a ques for ya..

tia

jrk