anorelli

Coilover suggestions

15 posts / 1033 viewsLast Reply

I've been looking for a set of coilovers for my 74 2002, and I can't seem to find a set that will lower the car more than 2". Does anyone know of a manufacturer or any suggestions of how to lower the car more than that? Thanks in advance for the help.

any threaded collar strut conversion will lower a car more than 2in. just use a shorter spring.

this is assuming you use a proper damper inside the strut that wont bottom out.

Does anyone have any experience with the spring a sway bar kit from Ireland Engineering? Springs say they'll only drop you an inch and a half, I'm really looking for something more dramatic than that.

i see you only have two posts...

have you done a search on the topic? there are zillions of threads on this. or at least look over the "stance" thread. pages of "stance" pics with details on suspension that got there.

Low car ------- cool.

Tires rubbing on fender arches when turning ------ not so cool.

2 inches, not a problem.

The claimed 1.5inch drop on stage 2's is pretty conservatively rated. It's closer to 1 5/8" + and then you can fiddle with the removal of 1/2 coil and some playing with the different rubber rear spring mounts.

As Marshall said, there's alot of information out there. For example ....

http://www.project2002.com/Project_2002/Tech2-suspension.html

http://project2002.com/Project_2002/Gallery_5.html

I have and I didn't really find any experience with coilovers. I'm gonna keep scouring those threads for more advice though. Thanks.

are you kidding? a search on "coilover"

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,search/mode,results/?search_keywords=coilover&search_author=&search_forum=-1&search_time=0&search_fields=all&search_cat=-1&sort_by=0&sort_dir=DESC&show_results=topics&return_chars=200

you don't need "coilovers" to lower a car. a shorter or cut spring will make it lower. technically 2002's come stock from factory with a "coilover" suspension. coilover is the coil spring wrapped around the shock. exactly what the mcpherson strut suspension the factory put in the car is. an ADJUSTABLE coilover suspension has the lower spring perch on a threaded sleeve that allows height adjustment.

Excuse me, when I said I hadn't found anything, I really meant that I hadn't found anything that my own research hadn't already brought me to.

I've been looking for a set of coilovers for my 74 2002, and I can't seem to find a set that will lower the car more than 2". Does anyone know of a manufacturer or any suggestions of how to lower the car more than that? Thanks in advance for the help.

All the current stuff (ground control, IE kit, etc) will get your car WAY lower than 2" if you want. If you follow the Ground Control instructions and cut out the 2" section of the strut and use a shorter insert you can a 4-6" drop pretty easily.

Colin- I was wondering about that. All of the sites list the designated height drop but I didn't know if that meant "2 inches maximum" or "We recommend 2 inches but you can go lower if you want" haha. Thanks!

any threaded collar strut conversion will lower a car more than 2in. just use a shorter spring.

of course this is just for the front. rear still needs a shorter spring/shock setup too.

All the recommendations point to removing 2in from the strut and rewelding it with a collar. See attached diagram.

I'll tell you from my experience that you would be fine taking 2.5in off and buying yourself another .5in of shock travel. You're going to need to run VW Rabbit front struts with a spacer at the bottom anyway because they will be too short, so you might as well take off another .5in because it won't hurt.

Jason

post-23201-13667667965654_thumb.jpg

All the recommendations point to removing 2in from the strut and rewelding it with a collar. See attached diagram.

I'll tell you from my experience that you would be fine taking 2.5in off and buying yourself another .5in of shock travel. You're going to need to run VW Rabbit front struts with a spacer at the bottom anyway because they will be too short, so you might as well take off another .5in because it won't hurt.

Jason

Jason...

do you have an email addie ...I have a ques for ya..

tia

jrk