• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gretchen72 - Project SR2002 Touring

gretchen72

space gray looks like haze gray, aka battleship gray. just put big white numbers on the front and you can dock it on any Navy base and blend in....;-)

J, you are a legend! Thanks!

Don't suppose you could make the flares and air dam black? I'd buy you a beer, but it'll be warm by the time you get it. If you're ever in Sydney I'll buy you lots of beers!

Here's the front cut of the donor car. A PS13 180SX. I bought the whole front cut, including gearbox, to make the swap easier.

The best part about buying a front cut is the engine can be started to make sure it runs before purchase. The engine fired up 1st go, even though some of the plumbing was missing from the compressor outlet...

And here's the same engine test fitted into Gretchen.

As you can see there's loads of room, which is understandable as the SR is a 2L 4 cylinder... The very svelte SR gearbox fits nicely in the 02 tunnel too.

The SR head has the opposite inlet and exhaust configuration to the single cam M10, which is actually better for a right-hand-drive car, but would probably be an issue for LHD. I'm sure some of you have noticed that the twin cam BMW race engine of the era is actually the opposite head configuration too...

The only notable mods needed to make it fit are; conversion to rack and pinion steering, custom engine and gearbox mounts, change the position of the front sway bar mounts, and move the gear stick hole back about 100mm.

Gretchen72 - Drink the beer, I'm just happy to help.

BTW Tundra Green is annoying to apply in a single hue mask. I could probably get it much closer with a lot more work, but I am going to call diminishing returns on this one.

post-20982-13667667902264_thumb.jpg

post-20982-13667667902833_thumb.jpg

post-20982-13667667903444_thumb.jpg

post-16226-13667667903926_thumb.jpg

J Swift
Global Formula Racing (Oregon State University)

1972 Opel GT "Mae"

The first attempt at making the new rear badge has been a little lost in design... a newer attempt will be done soon.

Good first attempt, but it's probably going to require a 3 axis CNC mill to achieve a truly OEM look. I think I know someone who may be able to do this?

The first attempt at making the new rear badge has been a little lost in design... a newer attempt will be done soon.

Good first attempt, but it's probably going to require a 3 axis CNC mill to achieve a truly OEM look. I think I know someone who may be able to do this?

Luckily because its family, they are being made for me for love. Cnc would be ideal... but expensive.

SR2002 Project

O==00==O

------------------

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine had a pretty nice little write-up on an SR-powered 2002 in this last months issue.

Good luck on the project.

Any chance of posting a link? We don't get the magazine in Australia.

I don't have a link, but if you've got something going out from the shop here (IreEng), I'll put the copy in the box.

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine had a pretty nice little write-up on an SR-powered 2002 in this last months issue.

Good luck on the project.

Any chance of posting a link? We don't get the magazine in Australia.

I don't have a link, but if you've got something going out from the shop here (IreEng), I'll put the copy in the box.

Thanks. I ordered a copy direct from them. On its way here now.

SR2002 Project

O==00==O

------------------

Okay. So here's the very controversial photo of Gretchen with 19" Audi RS rims.

It was only ever a meant to be a quick photo shoot with whatever I had laying around to keep me motivated while I chopped all the rust out of her.

The door and the arches are gaffered on, the body was dropped onto the wheels and with the air let out of the rear tyre to squeeze into the tub and the body was given a 5 minute prime.

I thought it would look ridiculous, but I was surprised. 19's are crazy, but 17's for sure.

Before anyone decides to comment on 'destroying dynamics' and 'ruining handling' with 19's this has all been discussed at great length and with much emotion before, so, save your breath.