CharlestonFrech

Dash Lights Not Working (Sometimes)

6 posts / 1871 viewsLast Reply

1974 2002tii

Dash lights (backlight) will work sometimes and won't work others. Go in and out periodically.

Is there a certain connection or wire(s) I may check to locate and/or fix this problem?

Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance!

The knob you pull to turn the headlights on also works as the dimmer switch. Try and turn the knob clockwise or anti clock wise. See if the instrument cluster lights flicker that time. If it is the problem, clean the switch contacts after unscrewing it from the dash pod.

The knob you pull to turn the headlights on also works as the dimmer switch. Try and turn the knob clockwise or anti clock wise. See if the instrument cluster lights flicker that time. If it is the problem, clean the switch contacts after unscrewing it from the dash pod.

NO WAY... I have to try this.

Cool!

WAY! dude .

oxidation, rust, dirt, old age, inactivity of the dimmer reostat

twist it like mad or replace it

Got clean tight NEW fuses ?

Guest Anonymous

there is actually a coiled wire that the switch uses to set the brightness of the dash lights. The coil can come loose or break. Take out the switch and you will see what I mean.

Thanks Guys!

I'm fairly sure it was just the knob getting turned and me not realizing it. I wasn't even aware that the knob was also a dimmer switch to begin with. You learn something everyday!

Thanks Again!