• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 tii near SF (not mine)

bcarey

Haven't seen it but had an agreement to buy it from the PO who then told me he sold it to one of his friends who really wanted it. PO was selling it for $4K so this guy is trying to double his money.

That said, from what he PO told me it is a very nice car! It even came with a bunch of spare parts and a 5 speed transmission. I was SO bummed - it makes me angry every time I see this ad. People were giving the guy a hard time when he first started listing it - and boy did he have an attitude about that. Oh - the ads started appearing about a week after he purchased it, so not really sure if it puts the PO in a bad light or the buyer seller.

But - this is all my hang up, just giving you that bit of background.

It started showing up for sale almost immediately after it was purchased. This all occurred in mid August. PO did mention an engine rebuild less than 5k ago. Also mentioned a rusted hood and some other minor body rust. If I recall correctly it had a nice interior as well. Likely still a good deal @ $8k - just not for me ;-)

I took this tii for a ride this weekend. The body is a little rough, but no structural rust. Engine seems sound and well cared for, but I'm going to get an inspection before finalizing the deal. This will be my first tii; are there any red flags I should look for during the inspection (other than the standard stuff I'd look for in a 2002)?

I took this tii for a ride this weekend. The body is a little rough, but no structural rust. Engine seems sound and well cared for, but I'm going to get an inspection before finalizing the deal. This will be my first tii; are there any red flags I should look for during the inspection (other than the standard stuff I'd look for in a 2002)?

Try to start it while cold to see if the cold start system works. Pumping the accelerator doesn't do anything, but hold it open slightly.

Drive up some hills. If it runs smooth at light throttle settings up hills, that's a good sign. It may start bucking and kicking - that could be a poorly tuned or worn out injection system. And it may only need a tune up.

Check the VIN and engine numbers.

If there is no "snorkel" to the right of the radiator, it's probably the original nose piece. Can't really tell from the cl photo.

Does the clock work?

Jerry

no bimmer, for now

Thanks for the tips. It actually starts up quite nicely, handles hills and accels just fine. I had a mechanic give it a look over and he said that other than the heater blower and a small leak in the water pump, it's solid mechanically. I thought the clutch was a little sticky, but maybe it just needs some driving? (It's been sitting for a while.) Oh, and no snorkel nose.

That said, I have a bad feeling that I could buy this car, and then be in for just as much money to kill all the rust. I already know it needs a new hood and driver's door, but what else lurks?!

I'm also not very skilled with a wrench, and a little intimidated by the tii.

It's killing me, but I think I'm going to have to pass on this one.

BC

I'm guessing this car came to CA with rust already on it, as it shows too much rust around seams, etc. to be an original CA car. The 3-series plate suggests that it has only had that registration since some time in the 90's. It would be interesting to know where the car was originally, which might help assess what kind of corrosion may exist. (It also looks that it is/was owned by a Tri-ahtelete, judging from the sticker on the rear panel.)

'73 Tii - Malaga 2763751

'72 Tii - Turkis 2762380 - sold

'74 Turbo - silver 4290633 - sold

'76 Jade Green - sold

'74 Tii - Siennabraun 2781572 - sold

'76 Verona - bought new - sold

That "no rust in California" rumor is just that - a rumor. If that car spent a significant part of it life near the ocean, it is likely to have rust issues. It just won't be all over the undercarriage like a rust belt car, the tin worm attacks the upper surfaces and gets behind the seals in coastal California. Ocean air is hell on paint, too.

Salt is carried inland by the prevailing winds along much of California's coastline. Coastal fog can keep many areas quite damp much of the year, especially in northern California.

If you go a couple miles inland, it is much less significant. Much of this doesn't apply if the car was garaged all or most of its life. Those are the ones to look for.

Jerry

no bimmer, for now