• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clutch not working after washing car?

ATLBMW

Could it be a wet clutch? Just drove my 02 around the neighborhood after purchasing her last week, and then washed her for the first time. When I started her back up, shifting into 1st, 2nd, or reverse gave a terrible grind and stalled it. I didn't try any other gears, and I did have the clutch depressed all the way.

I had also increased the idle control screw before washing, but had already driven around the neighborhood like that with no issues.

Any ideas?

It's a really scary sound as it grabbed the gear, let out a loud bang and stalled. Sounded like the whole axle fell on the ground.

1976 2002

Have you looked under the car, to see if possibly the half shaft bolts backed out. It's been talked about on the forum here and happened to me at one time; after putting in a used halfshaft on a '74 2002 I had many moons ago, halfshaft bolts worked loose enough for the halfshaft to drop, happened to me just after taking off after being at a red light so I was in 1st gear when it happened.

Tim

I'm betting on clutch hydraulics. Look at the brake/clutch reservoir level first. You likely have a leak in the system somewhere.

GL,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Try here http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,325052/

And here: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,0/page,viewtopic/p,625627/highlight,/sid,2b88d39097344cc06c8828109d955c22/

And a site search. The brake reservoir feeds the brakes and clutch. When it gets low I believe the clutch is generally affected first. The leak could well be in the brake system rather than clutch hydraulics tho.

GL,

I have not looked at that. Can you direct me to the post where I could figure out where/what that is?

Ray

Here is a picture of the clutch reservoir (I think - I am a newbie).

The fluid level looks fine, but I am surprised by the little brass ring that seems to be touching an electrical contact. I pushed it down a millimeter, and the was also able to grab it with my fingernails and pull it completely out.

What is it for, and am I missing a cap for this? Seems odd that it is there exposed.

post-22859-13667666834046_thumb.jpg

1976 2002

Yep. Looks like http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-NOS-NLA-BMW-e9-e3-2002-brake-fluid-reservoir-cap-34321103064-/110954621271

Where is the fluid level inside the reservoir? If it's not low, either your clutch slave cylinder or master is bad or has air in it.

GL,

Ray

Guest Anonymous

try pumping the clutch before you shift, and lower the idle speed. If it shifts OK when you pump it, that is a sign of air in the line, so it needs to be bled and may have a leak.

Pumped clutch, and it did not seem to make a difference. I had my wife hold down the clutch while took the attached picture of what I presume to be the master cylinder. It looks like the rubber boot has separated, could that be part of the problem?

post--1-13667666840365_thumb.jpg

1976 2002

That's the slave.

It seems the slave is not disengaging the clutch. I'd assume it's not traveling far enough due to hydraulics. All this being assumptions on my part ;-)

Some reference for u here: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,0/page,viewtopic/p,669023/highlight,/sid,60c6f89f06fc73abfb774d1f2c9649a9/4

GL,

Ray

First, let me say I really appreciate your help. This is a great forum.

You think the problem is in the slave vs. the master? If so, I could purchase a new slave and just replace vs. rebuilding. Looks like $50 at Bavauto.com

Does it make sense to replace the master at the same time? I think I am going to try all of this vs. towing to my mechanic.

1976 2002

You're welcome. I'd suggest replacing both. A bit of a pain but very do-able in my opinion. The most onerous part may be getting the air out of the system.

GL,

Ray

Before I go ordering the parts, do you have any thoughts on if it could be anything else? I realize I am asking advice of someone that has never seen the car, and you are taking best guesses.

Jut wondering if it is coincedence that this happened after I washed it, and after I adjusted the idle (although I drove it around the neighborhood after adjusting the idle - no problems in 1st thru 3rd).

1976 2002