• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brakes question!

superbuick3

Hello there, my 1600 had the red light in between the speedo and the temp/gas gauge on since i got it, i figured it was just the check engine light until i saw a picture of another instrument panel from an '02 that said under this light that it was a brake failure light. my brakes were getting really bad so i put some brake fluid in and they were good as new for about a month and a half. then just last week the red light started coming on mostly when i shifted, so i figured it was the brake fluid moving around and setting the sensor off, but it seemed very odd that the brake fluid had ran out that quickly. now as of a couple days ago my brakes have gotten very bad again and are almost to the floor when i have to stop. anyone have any idea what may be causing this? sorry, if this has already been answered or is a simple question, but i am really not very knowledgeable when it comes to cars. thanks guys

-="STOP DRIVING THE CAR!!"

WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LOOSE BRAKES?

(sometimes DEATH)

fluid is coming out of the master cylinder and filling up

your vacuum booster. thats why you don't see fluid on the ground

fluid is leaking out of a bad rear brake slave cylinder.

look inside the rear drums and inside the rear wheels

for fluid flying

fluid is leaking out of a bad rubber brake hose

fluid is leaking out of a caliper/piston seal

so LOOK before you DIE.

021968GAUGEandTAILITES.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Guest Anonymous

There is also one other place the fluid could be leaking - inside the pedal box - stick a long pencil in one of the slots and see if the floor is wet with it.

-="STOP DRIVING THE CAR!!"

+1

That's fine if you don't know much about cars. Lots of people on here aren't experienced. What is important is that you have someone check it out.

Clearly you are leaking fluid somewhere. And there are lots of ways to lose it without you noticing. So first thing you need to do is get to a mechanic and have that checked out.

ROTFL!! CHECK ENGINE LIGHT? on a 40 year old car that was made decades before they invented computers to run engine diagnostics systems?

i realize not everyone is a mechanic, but am regularly amazed at the number of people that have no idea what even the most basic dash warning lights mean...or just ignore big red or orange warning lights...

the "Big Bang Theory" episode where Penny and Sheldon are discussing the check engine light on Penny's car comes to mind!

:-)

seriously...NEVER assume anything about a warning light or ignore one. immediately take it to a competent mechanic (or have it towed in this case) for proper evaluation.

and while you are waiting for the car to be fixed, read your owners manual. learn about how the car is supposed to work and what indications of problems may be.

2xM3