• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help Please - Distributor Installation

bmcallister

I've searched and read through all the posts on TDC, etc. Still can't seem to figure out what I am doing wrong.

1974tii. Has a Fireball XR700 electronic ignition. Was previously set up with vacuum advance distributor. Distributor went kaput.

I purchased a mechanical advance distributor from Ireland Engineering:

http://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/2002-ignition/02tiidistelec.html

I took the electronic ignitor out of the new distributor, and installed my Fireball optical pickup/mounting bracket/trigger wheel setup.

Finding TDC: Took off the valve cover, rolled in 4th to find TDC. Mark on timing chain gear lined up with oil bar. Also verified TDC since I could slide the #1 intake/exhaust rocker arms along the cam (to prove they are unimpeded by the cam lobe).

Distributor Install: Took the distributor and installed it so that the rotor was pointing at the #1 plug position in the dist. cap - pointing there after the distributor is fully inserted, since insertion causes rotation of the distributor shaft.

Trigger wheel and optical pickup: The trigger wheel is installed so it is level, and aligned with the squarish sides of the distributor shaft. Optical pickup installed so it is level, sufficiently overlapped with the wheel (so the sender and receiver can only "see each other" through the gaps in the trigger wheel). Optical pickup mounted so the leading edge (assuming clockwise rotation) of one of the trigger wheel gaps aligns with the edge of the pickup sensor. All items secured in place with threadlock.

Put all the bits and pieces back. Note that I plugged the vacuum line since my new distributor is a mechanical advance (centrifugal). Start the car, and when it is cold it "idles" at about 3,500 RPM. Once it warms up it is WAY out of time, won't even idle long enough to put a timing light to it (yes, I know I have to time it at 2,500 RPM).

Sounds like the distributor/rotor may be out of phase, but I think I followed the procedures correctly. Ideas? Did I miss something?

Bryan

Current: '74 tii; '05 Audi S4; '10 Triumph Scrambler; '07 Mini Cooper S convertible

Former: '11 Infiniti G37s; '10 370Z; '85 911 coupe; '01 Audi S4; '84 VW GTI; '70 VW Karmann Ghia convertible; '76 Datsun Z

Guest Anonymous

To get it to run while you time it, loosen the lock bolt a bit and rotate the distributor slightly while it is running to keep it running, so you can then use your timing light to get it right on. Beyond that, I don't know your setup well enough to trouble shoot for you.

Guest Anonymous

Dont know about your troubles, but love this qwote.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

God Bless America

Remeber our armed forces at the Holidays, Do a random act of kindness on their behalf

Dave Miller

The Ireland distributor is not an exact copy of the original Bosch distributors. Chances are good that you can't just swap in the Fireball pick up as it won't be the same. You might find that the assembly is rotated relative to the mounting screw.

Can you use the Ireland Pertronix to trigger the ignition?

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

The Ireland distributor is not an exact copy of the original Bosch distributors. Chances are good that you can't just swap in the Fireball pick up as it won't be the same. You might find that the assembly is rotated relative to the mounting screw.

I have the later IE dizzy, my XR700 photo cell mounted in no problems.

Earl

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

I have the later IE dizzy, my XR700 photo cell mounted in no problems.

Earl

The main difference was in the plate the pick up bracket mounts to. There were some elongated holes where there was a single threaded hole on the old dizzy. I just used a screw and bolt (had to grind them down on the bottom side so they would not rub against the underlying spring advance mechanism).

I'm going to call IE tomorrow and see if they have any advice.

Thanks for the ideas.

Bryan

Current: '74 tii; '05 Audi S4; '10 Triumph Scrambler; '07 Mini Cooper S convertible

Former: '11 Infiniti G37s; '10 370Z; '85 911 coupe; '01 Audi S4; '84 VW GTI; '70 VW Karmann Ghia convertible; '76 Datsun Z