• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To Use Redline MTL or Not?

PaulTWinterton

I've use Redline MTL in all my BMW transmissions for the last 25 years in hot weather and cold, on street and track. Zero problems. And MTL definitely quieted the tired 1st/2nd gear synchros in the Getrag 245 O/D 5-speed in my M2. Interestingly, the newer "lifetime" fill BMW trannies suggest ATF. I've had an e46 for the past 10 years, and have always been unhappy with the balky shifting. At my last fluid change I switched to MTL, and the shifting is vastly improved. It feels much more like the BMW trannies I've been used to with my e28, e30 and e10 cars.

I have been told that the main advantage of ATF over MTL is that ATF is more fluid in cold temperatures, and does not require gentle shifting while the tranny fluid warms up in the winter. Perhaps it's BMW's "zero maintenance" response to otherwise teaching owners to drive gently for the first couple of miles in the winter with MTL in the transmission?

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT

You guys own stockin Redliine? Lot's of ads for it in this thread. Not knocking Redline, but there are others that do just as well (for the benefit of the original poster).

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

You guys own stockin Redliine? Lot's of ads for it in this thread. Not knocking Redline, but there are others that do just as well (for the benefit of the original poster).

Such as???

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

no. just have good experience with it. heck, do we all own stock in bmw? lots of ads for the cars on this forum.....:-P

yes, there are other good options, like royal purple, but the op's question was whether or not he should use REDLINE.

2xM3