• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 m30 engine swap help!!

ii1220

Hi everyone I searched around I found a couple this about the m30 in the 2002 but I have some questions I need answred before I go out to buy parts does the m30 Trans bolt up to the 2002 body with no fabs? Also what parts do I need for this build? Could someone please make me a list this is my first build and need as much info as possible im on a budget of 2500. if there is a conversion kit or a place that has a list of what parts to buy or what I need to fab that would be cool just let me know.

Thank,

Cheers

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

M30 swap is not an easy task - not recommended for your first project. Big six doesn't fit easily and the gearbox doesn't fit without major modifications to tranny tunnel. And the engine is way much heavier than M10.

Tommy

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

Gut then front nose, cut out the trans tunnel and make a new, larger one. Then make custom engine and transmission mount. Shorten the driveshaft. Install a larger radiator. If using fuel injection there will be a lot of new wiring.

etc etc.

Do a search for M20 swaps. Then add a hundred pounds and some more sheet metal work.

Tinker Engineering - 2014

Mica - 2000 BMW 323i - The one that started it all

Fiona - 1975 BMW 2002 - The Definition of Project Creep

Heidi - 1988 BMW M5 - The piece of BMW history

Silvia - 2013 Subaru WRX - Stock, for now

Why do you want to do this? The M30 is a nice motor but it's very big and heavy, it's great in my Bavaria but it would be a mess in a 2002. If you need a six, the M20 is much lighter and physically fits better (and people actually put them in so you can get brackets, etc). If you just want more power, consider the M42 or M44.

If you really have to have an M30, the gearbox you need is a Getrag 265 5-speed or the original Getrag 262 4-speed (Bavaria, coupe, or early E12). The others won't drive the speedometer (if that matters to you).

There isn't enough room in the engine bay for an M30 without some really nasty cutting up of the nose and firewall, I have both cars (Bavaria and 2002) right here so I can say that with some confidence. I'm not a fan of most M20 conversions either, and that motor is much more compact. Heck, you'd be better off putting in a V8, at least that's 4cyl long ; )

1000000569.jpg

Well the reson I want the m30 cause its different and a bulletproof engine does anyone know what the cost of everything could be my uncle owns a metal polishing shop with just about every tool and a sand blaster on deck so Im probably going to sandblast the whole car kinda off topic lol just wanted to share back to topic though do I need the e34 subframe

The M30 swap has been done, but it's so rare that there are't any guides or general methods to do it. Everything is completely custom. Can you use the stock '02 subframe? Sure. Could you adapt an E34 subframe? Sure. It really comes down to how YOU want to do it just because nothing is going to bolt together.

If your really looking for bulletproof, why not use a newer M50 or even S52? They are lighter and smaller, more efficient and still use the timing chain (I assume that's why you would prefer the M30 over the M20). They are still a very custom install, but it seems like it would be a better starting point.

Tinker Engineering - 2014

Mica - 2000 BMW 323i - The one that started it all

Fiona - 1975 BMW 2002 - The Definition of Project Creep

Heidi - 1988 BMW M5 - The piece of BMW history

Silvia - 2013 Subaru WRX - Stock, for now

You can do it on the cheap if you do everything. I did my m20 swap including the price of the car for under 3000. I agree with everyone else that the m30 is a poor choice for the 2002, it will under-steer horribly. Do you know how to weld and have access to the equipment? If not then you will not be able to do this or an m20 for your budget. Good luck finding a project that will work for you.

Thanks everyone im gunna look into m20 and m50 swaps let me know wjat you guys recommend and I wish s52!! But to expensive :(. if anyone has a list of parts and things to fab the m20 or m50 send it over my way.

Thanks everyone,

Cheers

The M50 it is heavier, longer, and more expensive to rebuild/modify than the M20. Something to keep in mind.

The last engine you might want to consider is the Alloy-blocked M54 engine (if you can get around the electronics). It is lighter than the M20, but remains more expensive. Look at Paul Cain's twin turbo 2002 for inspiration http://www.2002twinturbo.com/

There are several well-documented M20 swaps on here if you search for them. Also search for the "6 goes into 2" article (can be found via .pdf)

Best of luck! You'll find all you need by using the search function, no one here will (or should) hand everything to you as there are simply too many variables. Just remember, members on here tend to help those who help themselves.

Yeah I read that already and sorry everyone that was a little noobish of me im new to the whole forum scene but I was wondering if any one knows of the 1985 h23 hartge engine and if it is fitable in a 1972 2002

That's a Hartge built M20 motor. Obviously the same dimensions as an M20, but I don't think it belongs in an 02'. It should probably be saved for somebody trying to build a Hartge E30. Where did you find it?

Alex
-'75 2002 with M42

-Spec E30

-'91 318is

The H23 engine was a modified early M20B23 (2.3L) that I know for a fact had a more aggressive cam and head work, and allegedly (I have not confirmed this personally) ran 10:1 compression forged pistons. It was a great motor in the day. Very similar engine to the E30 chassis Alpina C1, which in my opinion was a fantastic car to drive.

The blunt fact is a couple years later BMW released the E30 325i which ran the 2.5L M20B25 engine. this engine with its "885" cylinder head and larger 84mm bore is going to be a better starting point cost/complexity wise.

Out of curiosity, where are you located?