• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lost key to stock locking gas cap

Vintagedavid

Guest Anonymous

try multiple different keys, my Craftsman toolbox key works perfectly, you would be surprised what 50 years of shade tree smithing will teach you

the earliest has a round keyhole cover, the later one a lozenge-shaped keyhole cover, and what BMW sells now doesn't have a cover for the keyhole at all. They all use different key blanks, and the early style blank is a real PITA to find. In addition, I think that early cap can come with one of two entirely different key blanks that are mirror images of each other.

If yours is an early gas cap (the correct one for a roundie), the blank is an ILCO H62VG. You'll have to ask someone else on the board for the blank numbers on later caps; both of mine are early styles.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite