• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73 Fjord with Megasquirt

scanner

Ive been sidetracked! My long term project is on hold while i try to finish off someone elses unfinished project. The attraction was it needed alot less welding than the 72, it will need alot less paperwork to get it back on the road and it has a few enhancements that i like but didnt want to do to the 72 as i want to keep that 'factory'.

The plan is to get it on the road asap, leave it alone cosmetically, do what is necessary mechanicaly, not cut too many corners but not worry about origionality - and to end up with a reliable beater with a bit of hot rodding thrown in

A few pics to get the ball rolling

IMG_1359.jpg
How all good projects arrive!

IMG_1395.jpg
Megasquirt relay board

IMG_1397.jpg
Megasquirt Brain

IMG_1400.jpg
Inside Megasquirt V3.0 with MSII Board

IMG_1399.jpg
Ford EDIS (came with coilpack, VR sensor and crankshaft toothed wheel)

IMG_1398.jpg
Wiring nightmare

IMG_1404.jpg
faded but untorn and complete moulded carpet

IMG_1405.jpg
Honda Integra Seats - match the blue interior nicely

IMG_1406.jpg
Carpets lifted to reveal floopan rust (sand is from PO sandblasting engine bay!)

IMG_1409.jpg
Chassis rails are OK

IMG_1414.jpg
Repair begins

IMG_1415.jpg
New frost plug and flywheel skim on the 'to do' list

IMG_1418.jpg
80 amp alternator

IMG_1422.jpg
Engine and chassis numbers match

IMG_1426.jpg
Distributor blocked off

IMG_1471.jpg
Damage to Heater box

IMG_1499.jpg
Wiring clean up begins

I plan to rewire keeping the origional loom intact and adding the Megasquirt/EDIS/FI wiring totally separate in its own loom

Spent most of last week seperating the looms and wire tracing and continuity checks on the original loom, good news is it hasnt been badly hacked and has all the original color coded wiring intact

More to follow!!

Edited by scanner

• 2 weeks later...

The heater box is fairly beaten up but the core looks ok and i need at least a demister so i have started to do a cheap but functional refurb, started with a bracket for the heater valve

IMG_1524.JPG

I subsequently read on the forum that the valve will function supported by the hose only but i had already done most of the fabrication so on it went.

Some damage to the case meant the cables controlling the demister and footwell flaps were not attached and not opening the flaps

IMG_1531.JPG

The problem

IMG_1532.JPG

Bracket bent up from some 16gauge and painted with Hammerite ( Im not a big fan of Hammerite but was OK for this)

IMG_1533.JPG

And in position, it will be rivited on, the idea is to spread the load and reduce pressure on the brittle plastic - hope it works!

Took a trip to pickaparts and lifted about 200 hoods, came away with a few bits and pieces. BTW there are no 2002s at NZ Pickaparts and BMWs are few and far between, stiil you work with whats available

IMG_1534.JPG

Distribution Box from a 5 series, not an E30 one but will do the job

IMG_1535.JPG

IMG_1539.JPG

IMG_1540.JPG

Relay boxes from a couple of Toyota Corollas, they take Bosch type relays and i thought looked quite neat

IMG_1536.JPG

A couple of cables from Honda Integras which i hope to adapt to acctuate the Throttle body using the 2002 Gas pedal

IMG_1538.JPG

An assortment of Faston .250 connectors, covers and adhesive heatshrink from Digikey. Only took 3 days to arrive from the US- great service. The terminals were chosen after reading this http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Terminals.html Paladin crimper is on its way purchased on Amazon last week!

I now have no excuses and need to get stuck in to mocking up the layout for the engine bay and repairing original wiring

• 2 weeks later...

Following the excellent FAQ heater box rebuild continues

IMG_1541.JPG

Foam on flaps replaced with closed cell foam, red rubber grease used on flap grommets

IMG_1548.JPG

Assembled to test cable movement - all good, success!

Mockup of wiring in engine bay

IMG_1558.JPG

Showing relay box and Pos and Neg terminals (Battery to be trunk mounted) using modified original loom

IMG_1559.JPG

Mocking up additional relay box and Megasquirt relay box(Cardboard version!) Plan is to run a seperate loom for Megasquirt EFI

Another trip to Pickapart - spent 2 hours removing the loom from an old Merc, not sure of the year but had lots of nice wiring that looked similar gauge and color coding to the 2002 so i now have a good supply of sutiable wire!

IMG_1560.JPG

Mercedes wiring to be put to a better use!!

IMG_1561.JPG

Started repairing wires that had been cut into or used as power takeoffs for additional electrical stuff. Trying to get the origional loom back to factory

• 3 weeks later...

Finished testing the wiring, everything works, all relays and switches function. I had to take off the ignition switch as i was getting an unreliable contact in the 'fhart' position; 2 screws at the back and it comes off without taking the keyed part off, squirted some contact cleaner through it and greased the ball bearing and works perfect now. Sorry no pictures of this

IMG_1563.JPG

Welded on a good solid earth that i can use a jump lead on - the battery has already been relocated in the trunk by the PO.

IMG_1566.JPG

Added an earth strap and small earth distribution box from the Merc i took the loom from, giving me a convinient point to add additional earths for the megasquirt and additional relays

IMG_1567.JPG

Earth in trunk cleaned, may swap screw for a bolt and nut for peace of mind

IMG_1569.JPG

Earth on heater box bolt is good

IMG_1580.JPG

This is where i can use jumper leads, positive power distribution box is from an E36 (couldnt find an E30 one!)

IMG_1581.JPG

First sign of life! interior light. Basically i just went through each circuit, adding fuses, checking continuity and then powering up. By the end of the weekend everything worked

IMG_1583.JPG

Found this little NZ Native when i took the back seat out, its a Weta, harmless and very cool - ill find a place for him!

IMG_1586.JPG

I am missing one of these, its the parking light holder for an H4 Headlight, hopefully still available from BMW

IMG_1590.JPG

Doesnt look much different but its alive now!

IMG_1592.JPG

Instrument console cleaned and refitted

IMG_1594.JPG

Loom under dash tidied up and rewrapped with bias tape

IMG_1595.JPG

And onto the next project. Brake master cylinder refurb.

• 4 weeks later...

Finished the floor and firewall welding, as far as i can tell this is the worst of the rust and at this stage dont plan to look too hard for any more - this is going to be the daily driver so a little rust is acceptable!

IMG_1608.JPG

Rotten metal cut away

IMG_1610.JPG

Firewall patch formed

IMG_1619.JPG

Took the opportunity to treat the insides of the chassis rails with Brunox rust treatment followed by a waxoil type treatment. Rails were in good condition with only surface rust on the inside

IMG_1623.JPG

Extra plate added on the top of the rail to provide a solid base to weld the gas pedal locating nubs bracket to. Copper coloured paint is weld through primer

IMG_1628.JPG

Final floor patch formed and holes drilled for plug welding

IMG_1631.JPG

And welded in

IMG_1632.JPG

Gas pedal bracket positioned and plug welded on

IMG_1637.JPG

2 pack Epoxy primer brushed on

IMG_1642.JPG

Seam sealed

IMG_1646.JPG

Final coat of paint - Job done!

• 5 weeks later...

More progress with the tidy up of the engine bay and underfloor

IMG_1650.JPG

Welded up some of the POs mounting holes

IMG_1652.JPG

And added a bracket for the Hella relays

IMG_1656.JPG

Scrubbed the underside with Simple Green

IMG_1657.JPG

Came up pretty good i think

IMG_1673.JPG

Brushed on seam sealer over the epoxy primer

IMG_1676.JPG

And sprayed on rubberised underseal using a schutz gun

IMG_1674.JPG

Wheel wells done as well, i like the grey but may spray a light coat of fjord blue to look more 'factory'

IMG_1677.JPG

Covers my welding repairs well!

IMG_1679.JPG

This is the stuff i used, i think its German but available in NZ from R A Johnson, goes on nice and thick and is a pretty good match visually for the factory underseal.

IMG_1671.JPG

Next on the to do list - rub down the existing primer ready for a coat of epoxy primer

IMG_1672.JPG

Ready for epoxy primer

Although this is to be a daily driver the opportunity to spray a clear engine bay isnt one to be missed, so i am probably lavishing more attention on this stage than i will be on other parts of the build!

• 2 weeks later...

The PO had put electric windows in which may have worked OK but im a great believer in the KISS principle and wanted to keep the electrics to a minimum. While dismantling the doors i discovered that both locks were non functional and some rust holes at the base of the door - project creep strikes again!

This wont be an extensive 'how to' as all i did was glean advice written by other forum members and in particular these 2 websites http://www.zeebuck.com/bimmers/tech/doorlocks/doorlocks.html and http://www.my2002tii.com/may2003/may2003.htm

So onto the photos!

IMG_1691.JPG

Removed the electric windows, i believe from a Ford Mondeo

IMG_1694.JPG

Rust at bottom of door cut out

IMG_1696.JPG

Patches welded in

IMG_1703.JPG

Bottom of doors epoxy primed, stone chip undersealed and wax treated on the inside, should keep the rust at bay for a while!

IMG_1705.JPG

Door brake seems servicable

IMG_1706.JPG

Standard problem here, will follow Bill Williams FAQ to sort this out

IMG_1707.JPG

Regulator well greased up, hope i haven't overdone it?

IMG_1717.JPG

Door lock soaked in petrol to clean off crud

IMG_1719.JPG

Then blown with compressed air and Brakeclean, replaced grommets and sprayed with a PTFE lube

IMG_1720.JPG

Assembled out of the car

IMG_1721.JPG

And bolted in, (rubber grease used on the grommets)

IMG_1723.JPG

And locks refurbed as described in the website mentioned above, i also reyeyed the drivers lock to match the ignition by filing down the tumblers.

And so to reassembling the windows, i was ready for a fight here but i think i got lucky and the order i put things back in seemed to work well so for what its worth heres how i did it!

IMG_1724.JPG

Placed rear guide in but at this stage left it loose

IMG_1726.JPG

After mocking up on the bench with the guides, removed the guides and dropped the window into the door

IMG_1727.JPG

Quarterlight was already in the door, snapped the front guide into the front guide rail and bolted loosely to the window.

IMG_1728.JPG

Bolted rear guide to window

IMG_1729.JPG

Slid regulator in and attached to window, this took a few attempts to get the right window/regulator position to allow 'docking' to take place!

IMG_1730.JPG

Regulator was bolted up (This was after mating it with the window which allowed me a little more wriggle room)

IMG_1732.JPG

Rear guide rail was then moved forward and bolted loosely into position

IMG_1733.JPG

After an hour or so of adjusments the window now moves up and down smoothly, more fine tuning will follow but still a satisfying outcome

IMG_1734.JPG

Door trim still to put on, am waiting on the U channel felt strip to come from Germany

Well thats the passenger side done, will do some other stuff before tackling the drivers side, i need a break from wrestling with greasy regulators!

Reached an important stage in the refurb today - painting the engine bay. I went with an epoxy primer (already done) and a 2K 2 stage Basecoat/Clearcoat system. This is the first time i have used this paint system, all previous projects were with good old lacquer.

IMG_1737.JPG

Masked up

IMG_1736.JPG

First base coat on

IMG_1738.JPG

Basecoat goes on flat.

I made the mistake of putting the first coat down too heavy and got a couple of runs, so i left it an hour and wet sanded the run with 600 grit and wax and grease remover, it worked perfectly. I wish i could take the credit but i You Tubed this very helpful 'How to" from a fellow Kiwi!

IMG_1739.JPG

Basecoat finished, 3 coats and a final dropcoat, metallic looks pretty good, no 'tiger striping' fortunately

IMG_1747.JPG

IMG_1755.JPG

IMG_1756.JPG

IMG_1757.JPG

3 coats of clearcoat and the jobs done! Pretty happy with the result

IMG_1759.JPG

Color variation

This has been the only downside to the process, the color doesnt match the bodywork! The paint i used was Spiers Hecker Permacron mixed to the Code and the color the body had been repainted by the PO is lighter than the factory color, hence the variation. Looks like a good excuse for a future respray!

• 3 weeks later...

Now the engine bay is painted i can start reassembly, emptying some of the cardboard boxes stored around the garage.

IMG_1769.JPG

Pedal Box (RHD) epoxy primed, fitting was straightfoward using 3M Strip Caulk

IMG_1778.JPG

At this point i cavity waxed areas that were easier to get at before i put anything else in,

this is top of the plenum above where the heater box sits

IMG_1764.JPG

Wiper arms needed a cleanup

IMG_1805.JPG

New grommets fitted

IMG_1806.JPG

Painted and greased up

IMG_1808.JPG

And fitted, i fitted the wipers before the heater box to make life easier,

its a tight fit in there when the heater box is fitted

IMG_1762.JPG

Heater box and valve refurbed, new hose and stainless hoseclips

IMG_1812.JPG

And fitted, again using 3M Strip Caulk. Now the Heaterbox is fitted i can start the interior refit

IMG_1809.JPG

In my latest package of goodies from Walloth and Nesch were the famous 'Corn Cobs" for the doorlocks.

Fitted one and it really does make a huge difference, door closes with a satisfying Clunk now!

IMG_1783.JPG

The company i entrusted removal of the steering box arm to managed to feck up the alloy housing making oil seal replacement difficult!

Really pissed off but dont think the oilseal was too bad anyway, it was the other seal that was leaking

IMG_1814.JPG

Ready to rebuild steering box, using EP140 (GL4) Oil to try to minimise leaking

IMG_1815.JPG

Cleaned and ready to assemble

IMG_1816.JPG

Job Done, filled with oil, will check tomorrow for leaks!

• 3 weeks later...

Satisfying to start to see parts going back in and the piles of cardboard boxes reducing

IMG_1840.JPG

Pedal box fitted using 3M strip caulk

IMG_1837.JPG

Brake and Clutch master cylinders refitted

IMG_1839.JPG

Steering box in position

IMG_1932.JPG

Rebuilt twin servos with new hydraulic seals, i have lots of photos of disassembly and rebuild and will post in the future (After road testing to confirm success!!)

IMG_1945.JPG

Sorting out wiring spaghetti begins

IMG_1948.JPG

Fused relays for Horn, Low beam, High beam and (in the future) Driving lights

IMG_1951.JPG

Laying out wiring

IMG_1952.JPG

Crimp tool and connectors used for relays, makes a nice tight crimp

IMG_1955.JPG

First Servo added

IMG_1957.JPG

Some wiring wrapped and second servo added

Next up - Brake lines

• 3 weeks later...

More progress photos

IMG_1961.JPG

IMG_1968.JPG

IMG_1965.JPG

Brake lines cleaned and reinstalled, brake/clutch reservoir added

IMG_1975.JPG

Washer motor stripped down

IMG_1976.JPG

Some serious oldschool over engineering here!

IMG_1988.JPG

And installed on washer bottle, washer bottle leaked but managed to fix with careful use of a soldering iron to weld the plastic

IMG_1987.JPG

Steering wheel installed, i have a genuine Nardi which will eventually be installed when i get the Momo to Nardi adapter.

Started stripping the ancillaries off the block, the plan is to leave the long block intact and check and replace gaskets ect as needed

IMG_1989.JPG

Water pump had a broken stud, tried the welding a nut method - FAIL

IMG_1992.JPG

So drilled out and collapsed thread

IMG_1994.JPG

Stud screwed out -WIN!

IMG_1990.JPG

Removed all core plugs

IMG_1991.JPG

Glad i did, a couple looked close to failure

IMG_2016.JPG

Removed Block drain plug to reveal?

IMG_2019.JPG

What looked like solid metal, after chipping away turned out to be sludge build up.

A few more flushes of the water jacket should see it right.