• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

carrier bearing help

7002chris

so the other day i felt something weird under my car right by the guibo area. Jacked it up to look and somehow the bolts that hold the guibo together are connecting with the gear selector shaft housing right were the gear selector seal is. I looked back and the carrier bearing is distroyed and letting the driveline drup enought that the bolts angle up and hit. So i have another bearing to install but i took the driveline off and the bolt that holds them together next to the bearing is some weird spiked looking bolt anyone know where to get the tool to do this?

post-20776-13667663078901_thumb.jpg

An ordinary 24mm fixed wrench fits, not to bent at the end though.

http://greatnecktools.com/upload/products_images/C24MC.jpg

There´s a lot of info how to on the forum, search for center bearing install or replacement and you´ll find everything you just might think of.

Ola Gustafson
Sweden
-------------------
1975 Taiga Euro 2002 3685483 - Weber 38/38 DGMS - Pertronix Ignitor - H&R Cup Kit - TEP headers and Simons 2" sport exhaust - 3.91 LSD.

I´m just the same, but after looking around and talking to folks who know I´m not getting into the u-joint shifting business.

My rear joint is shot, and I´ll either get a shop with the right tools to do it for me (not easy to find in Sweden, it seems), or just get a new/rebuilt drive shaft. Cost seems to be about the same.

The taiga is parked and I don´t like it. We should be having fun now taiga and me.

Ola Gustafson
Sweden
-------------------
1975 Taiga Euro 2002 3685483 - Weber 38/38 DGMS - Pertronix Ignitor - H&R Cup Kit - TEP headers and Simons 2" sport exhaust - 3.91 LSD.

I have a 12 point wrench ground down a bit for this very task. I use a large bench mounted vise to hold the shaft, a little heat, and a little muscle. Always mark the two halves of the driveshaft so you do not disturb it's balance, BEFORE taking the halves apart!

I use red loctite on the nut when reassembling.

Make sure you mount the center bearing assy in the correct orientation (facing forward correctly) and pre loaded toward the transmission slightly. (2-3mm)

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

ok cool thanks another question i had i tried lookin up, is there anyway to get the ujoints out and put replacable ones in all i can find is people just send it into a shop. But i like to do things myself

no. as many others have said in different thread.....get a new driveshaft (rebuillt) and send your old one back as a core.

2xM3

Oops. Just re-read the OP. If the joints are bad, I'd recommend Beyer Motor Works for quality rebuilt driveshafts. I'm not sure if they sell to the public though. I have one of 'em leaning against my tool box for my father's coupe right now. Good price, fast shipping, painless core return.

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

In Hillsboro, you're close to Driveline Services, up toward Jantzen Beach.

They're good at this- not cheap, at $400 last time I did one, but good-

and they warranty their work.

Afterwards, you DO get replacable spiders, but so far, I've never replaced

one, and I race one (or 2) of their driveshafts.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I have a 12 point wrench ground down a bit for this very task. I use a large bench mounted vise to hold the shaft, a little heat, and a little muscle. Always mark the two halves of the driveshaft so you do not disturb it's balance, BEFORE taking the halves apart!

I use red loctite on the nut when reassembling.

Make sure you mount the center bearing assy in the correct orientation (facing forward correctly) and pre loaded toward the transmission slightly. (2-3mm)

+1

I ground down a brand new wrench just enough to fit. Then I installed 2 bolts at the driveshaft end and a long crowbar to keep the driveshaft from spinning while you break the nut loose. DON'T forget the PB Blaster!!

GL