• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hot air blowing under dash

fjordblue

Guys,

Any idea why my 73 is blowing hot air under dash even when the AC and heat are both turned off. It only blows when the car is moving. The little squirrel cage is spinning pushing out the air. Help!!!!! its 95 deg here so I definitely dont need heat.

Thanks,

PO (or even you) managed to reassemble the heater's hot water valve control cable backwards--it's very easy to do. When it's this way, moving the selector on the dash to "cold" gives you warm air, and vice versa.

Also, if a later model heater valve has been installed, they have a small hole in the valve body that allows some hot water flow even when the heater is turned to cold. This allows minimal circulation in the heater core so as not to let it get gummed up during the summer.

But my guess is the valve control cable is attached backwards...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

• 9 years later...

Hi, I'm trying to find this silver tab you speak of. Anyone got a picture so I can see what you mean?

My temp slider has jammed so can only move an inch from full hot to slightly less hot, but I don't think it actually adjusts anything, and I've noticed that no hot air comes out the vents, but the dash gets nice and hot while driving.

Not sure about the silver tab, but I have to go to the passenger side of the car and look in the cowling area. The heater valve is a brass deal with a heater hose running to it from the engine. You have to snake your hand over the brass fitting to its driver side, fumble around and identify the heater valve lever. Should have a control cable attached to it. It's a "braille" deal.

Shove that sucker as far toward the firewall as you can. I brace the center shaft with my thumb and press the lever with a finger or two.

Word of caution: The valve is mounted to a plastic "ear" on the heater box that is fragile. Don't flex it.