• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 2002 Done!

Hi Folks,

After many months of work, we've finally completed our 1972 '02 "hot rod". I've attached a picture and will post more, if anyone is interested.

Thanks to a friend, with extraordinary mechanical and fabrication skills, the car turned out really well and is a hoot to drive.

Bill H.

post-20003-13667662312375_thumb.jpg

looks good, more pics? I like the color, and flares, interior and engine pics pls

1970 Agave work in progress

Born on May 14 1970 and delivered May 19th 1970 to NYC to Hoffman Motor Corp. Agave code 071

new guy

help appreciated!

other cars: 1991 318is / 1999 540iT

Very Nicely done!!! Congrats, love the color. Now it's time to drive it!!

Them door panels came out sweet, look very clean.

FO 2573825

1971 2002, 5-OD, Recaro SE, BBK, 90Amp Alt, Turbines, VDO, Hellas, BD belts, LED Tails, 10 Foot DD

• 1 month later...

Completed (for now) engine compartment. A detailed list of modifications follows:

ENGINE:

• BMW M10 block with E12 head.

• .40mm overbore

• 9.5:1 Tii pistons

• Balanced

• New rod and main bearings

• New OEM oil pump

• TEP oil pan baffles

• Head resurfaced

• New exhaust valve guides, rocker arms, shafts

• Schrick 292 cam

• New timing chain

• Weber 38/38 carburetor

• Crane XR700 electronic ignition

• Pertronix ignitor

• Magnecor wires

• 320i radiator

• Ireland Engineering silicone hose kit

• Ireland Engineering electric fan kit

• Korman Autoworks remote oil filter

• Electric fuel pump and pressure regulator

• Stainless catch bottles, front and rear

• Battery cutoff switch in trunk

TRANSMISSION/DRIVETRAIN:

• Four-speed

• New clutch

• Fabricated "short" shift linkage

• New Guibo

• Rebuilt limited-slip differential

• New transmission and motor mounts

SUSPENSION:

• All components disassembled, sandblasted, and painted

• All new polyurethane bushings inc. transmission and diff mounts

• New 22mm sway bars, front and rear

• Front: Ground Control coilovers and adjustable camber plates

• Rear: 450lb. springs, Bilstein Sport shocks

EXHAUST

• Header (painted and heat wrapped)

• ANSA muffler and tailpipe

BRAKING SYSTEM:

• Front: Ireland Engineering big brake kit

• Rear: Stock drums

• New master cylinder

• Stainless brake lines

WHEELS AND TIRES:

• Rota RB silver, 15x7, ET 25

• Yokohama S-Drive, 205/50/R15

BODY/FRAME:

• Disassembled to bare body

• All rust repaired (only minor issues)

• Rough spots and faulty previous work repaired

• Fenders cut and welded

• Body drilled, rivnuts inserted to mate fenders with flares

• Fiberglass “Turbo” flares painted and installed

• Front and rear bumpers modified to integrate with fender flares

• Bumpers cut, welded, finished

• Grill and bumpers painted silver

• Body spot primed, sanded and prepped

• Professionally painted

• Urethane, non-metallic, three color coats

• 1994 BMW color Santorini Blue (518)

• Rear TEP strut brace with battery relocation kit

• Custom front strut brace

• Reinforcement plates for roll cage attachment fabricated and welded

• All soundproofing and tar removed

• Floor pan painted with POR 15

• Trunk painted with grey “splatter” paint

• Headliner removed, celing painted with black “splatter” paint

• Undercoated

• Engine compartment prepped and painted

• Roll cage sandblasted and painted

• Hella driving lights mounted

• New accelerator pedal fabricated

INTERIOR:

• AA bolt-in cage

• Deleted rear seat

• Carpeted

• Fabricated new vinyl trim, door panels and package shelf

• Modified console

• Recovered pillars and door post

• Added switches for fuel pump and driving lamps

• Clock from WW1 airplane

• Fabricated instrument pod for VDO gauges

• Molded dash cap

• Bimarco seats, custom floor mounts

• Rally co-driver foot brace

• Five-point safety harnesses

• Built-in fire protection system, custom-fabricated brackets

• Momo steering wheel

• Momo shift knob

• Wink mirror

post-20003-13667663587398_thumb.jpg

Hi Bill H,

your build is amazing. I am new to the forum and have been trolling for a while now. Your car serves as the perfect template on which to base my upcoming build. Just picked up a shell of a 69. I wish I were on the east coast, I'd come poach you and your friend Erich.

I'd like to ask you about the estimated cost of your build. From the pictures you have online, it appears my build is going to be about the same and I'm trying to put together a budget.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Cheers

Freshman02

looks nice, but....

DONE? LOL, a 2002 resto is never DONE...;-)

you say "AA" cage. that looks like an AutoPower cage, yes? nice job with the reinforcment plates for the cage feet.

suggestion on your FPR and pump mount in trunk. move them to the front side of the rear strut brace. where they are now puts the fuel hoses out in the open. if you have anything in the trunk it could slide and hit the hose causing big fuel spill.

you also should get rid of that wet cell battery in the trunk. there is no ventalation in the trunk. between the battery gases and the fuel line issue, you have a accident waiting to happen. use a sealed AGM battery instead...lighter too.

DSCN4734.jpg

curious with all the upgrades and engine work you did not go with DCOE's?

so when are we going to see in-car video from the track time this car is headed for? track car threads are worthless without track video! :-)

2xM3

LOL You're right about the "never done' stuff. The car just spent two days at the track (Watkins Glen). See below. Even in the Novice group we were getting our lunch eaten by the E46 M3s and other assorted contemporary hot rods. It looks like 45 DCOEs and a Schrick 304 cam will be the next step. Of course, it was the oldest car in the bunch by about 25 years. It did arouse lots of nostalgia.

PO of donor car told us the cage was an AA. No labels; I don't have a clue. I'm sure you're right.

We took the engine intact from the donor car and used the Weber downdrafts because we had them. This time we ran it with a 32/36 and it was clearly insufficient. We have a 38/38 that we'll try as an interim step to the side drafts. Couldn't get it to run right before; it turned out to be an ignition problem.

Thanks for the words of wisdom on the trunk configuration; it makes sense. I was just being cheap with the wet cell battery.

post-20003-1366766373074_thumb.jpg

post-20003-13667663734064_thumb.jpg

It's amazing how the costs add up on a project like this. I bought the '72 for 5,000, the '76 donor car for $3,500. With the additional pieces, right now I'm up to about $22,000 but I have a pile of stuff to sell.

only a brave man or a fool totals up the receipts on a track car....;-)

mine all go in a drawer that is overflowing. I am sure I have very far exceeded your total if that makes you feel any better!

2xM3

• 2 years later...