• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Boxed trailing arm picture request

dcm522

Hey Guys,

Just dropped my rear subframe/ trailing arms off to be sandblasted, boxed and adjustable camber/ toe added. I was wondering if any of you that have pic's of your boxed rears can post so we can get some ideas. Ive searched but can only find a couple of examples of this being done.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,271021/

My fronts were completely boxed with dimple die holes and was thinking of doing something like this for the rear. I am also looking for pic's of the posi-lock style rear camber/ toe adjusters from IE installed on your subframes.

Thanks everyone!

Looks like someone was destitute and used unistrut on the front.

Boxing rears if not done carefully will end up with weld shrinkage out of alignment. Find some TII parts is a good move.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

lookee here:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,0/page,viewtopic/t,287204/start,30/

i did this earlier this year. no need to use plate steel like your other example. you are merely boxing it up for torsional stiffness. unless you are thinking of entering a monster-truck competition or run the Baja race with your 02, you should be fine.

get some thick cardstock and trace the outline of the opening. it's not hard, just time consuming to do it right. one pattern should suffice for both sides. they ought to be mirror images of each other.

fabricating the holder to keep the rubber brake hose from turning while tightening was the biggest chore of the job. i had to file the reverse of a 14mm hex nut.

post-260-13667661421014_thumb.jpg

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Lol, no Unistrut used here. Just some 16g with dimple die cuts over the stock arm.

Jerry thanks for posting, i was think something along those lines with some dimple die's.

Here's another photo of the front for reference.

post-260-13667661421943_thumb.jpg