• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cleaning and readjusting the carburetor.

The tip of the iceberg.

Assuming you have a 32/36 then here is a good start.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/content/view/62/32/

pierce has a vast amount of info as well as the recommended weber books.

things that help me when i rebuild is old tooth brushes, carb cleaner, some metal containers, some small glass containers (to soak stuff in) and some carb dip (think non arisol). and being outside also helps (with the fumes).

i get a lot of my parts from Jam Engineering. John's a great guy, small shop who really helps out and has very competitive prices.

realize that a good bit of what you THINK are carb problems could be timing problems. There are a TON of posts over the years on this.

It also helps a ton if you can find someone who is local who can help you setup your carb for your application.

Good luck!

Dave

Pittsburgh, PA

67.5 Datsun Roadster

72 2002 Colorado

89 325ix

99 318ti

04 x5 3.0

I was super worried about doing this to mine, having never worked with car carbs before (only bikes). But it was very easy.

There isn't much to the 32/36. I got a rebuild kit from Blunttech and a Weber book that I'd read through before hand. I cleaned everything with carb cleaner (indoors. I find that makes the project more fun) and was good about taking one thing apart, cleaning it, and putting it back together before moving on.

I was left with a couple extra pieces but found out later the kit is for a number of different carbs so has more items than strictly needed by the 32/36. The carb really doesn't have much in the way of adjustments. I adjusted the idle after an ignition upgrade, but as long as your jets are correct and clean you should be good. As stated above, if you're still having issues after the rebuild look at timing etc.

Oh, and I made a HUGE mistake when putting the carb back on and over tightened it. The cracked the spacer and I ended up with a vacuum leak!

Yes, there WAS skin on my knuckles before I started the repair...

buy a WEBER carburetor booklet at any big book story tonite

unscrew the parts

blow clean with a spray can of Carb Cleaner

(WEAR SAFETY GLASSES in a well ventilated area!)

read book for adjustments

weber-3236.jpg

buy a 'complete carb rebuild" kit

92323705.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

You're gonna have lots of little parts, so I recomment doing the disassembly/assembly in one of those disposable aluminum Turkey Pans.

It can be a real pain crawling on the floor looking for a screw or check ball.

Be sure to clean the outside of the carb really well before cracking it open. No point in contaminating the inerior with crud from the outside.

Whenever I rebuild a carb, I just replace the jets rather than cleaning. Jets are cheap and it's not easy getting the old ones absolutely clean and back to spec, even with soaking and compressed air. After all the work and reassembly, I don't want the carb running poorly because of a partially blocked jet and have to do the job all over again.

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet