• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

rev engine = remote filter gasket pops out

Hello all,

I have a 1973 2002 base model that I just finished rebuilding. It has a remote filter with an oil cooler. When I start the engine and rev it the gasket on the oil filter pops out and it start leaking badly. Apparently it cannot seal against the oil pressure. I am running 20-50wt oil and it originally it had a fram 3816 filter on it. I replaced that with a NAPA 1374 filter. The filter is tight and the lines from the block appear to be correct. Oil from the filter base on the block is going to the remote filter housing labeled IN. I have not checked pressure as I did not have a 12 x 1.50 fitting. (I have one on order).

I am getting plenty of oil up to the cam. I checked the oil pump when I had it apart and the relief valve piston seemed OK. Is this simply an oil filter issue or is it more likely I have a stuck oil pressure relief?

Now I am worried..I found some posts that mention installing the tube in the oil pump upside down causing the same issue. Now I have to decide if I should pull the engine again or just lift it a bit to get the pan off. Can anyone give me any tips on what I would read for pressure if the tube is upside down? On a normal car I read that I would expect to see about 48-60 cold, 125 psi at 2500, about 28-40 hot at 1500 rpm and about 75 psi at 4500 rpm. Does that sound about right?

Quickest way to remove the oil pump? I don't have a lift but the engine hoist is still handy.

Mine is ...cold idle 85 psi if I rev it a bit 120, warm idle 50, running 60 - 100 depending on revs . You really have to check those O rings/gaskets if they are not seated properly it will blow them out .

72/2002 Inca

72tii/2002 "Apple"

70/2002 "Five "

73/2002 "Freeda"

2007 Lotus 7 Replica

2011 Ford xr6 Ute

85 E30 325

70 1600-2 "Orange"