• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Request: Mike S. Article Ignition Lock Repair -Aug06 Roundel

JsnPpp

Folks,

I'd like to take a look at Mike Self's August 2006 (I believe) Roundel article on ignition lock repair. Mike is traveling till next week and so can't send directly and I figured I would ask if someone has it on their computer they can send me.

Looked in my Roundel stash and of course I don't have that month.

Thanks in advance!

jasonpap2002_AT_yahoo_DOT_com

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

what seems to be your problem? i'm currently dealing with a bad ignition lock myself. mine was previously rekeyed and glued in place. i was able to extricate it but not before slightly bending the very flimsy rotating gizmo that engages the electrical starter switch. if you get the tumbler out it can be rekeyed by any competent locksmith.

i had to use a propane torch to heat up the pot-metal gizmo before attempting to tweak it. Break it and you'll be buying a whole ignition assembly. i got mine to work but the steering column lock mechanism seems to have been compromised sometime previously in its 40 year lifespan. fortunately, i have another whole steering assembly to replace it with.

gluing the ignition switch is not my advice. i installed an allen head to secure it in place. i will likely be drilling out the replacement ignition lock to replace with the one i just had rekeyed to my door locks.

the tumbler assembly has two swaged posts that need to be ground in order to access the lock-tabs. using a center punch can provide enough deformation to hold it in place during reassembly. if you break one off you'll need to carefully drill and tap a very small screw in place.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

You were right - Aug '06

Awwww! Share it with all of us.

1974 polaris A 4281992 (total resto with 5-spd conversion)

1976 jadegrun 2744974 (sold then killed by the new owner, grrrr!)

1976 sahara A 2392532 (sold)

1971 nevada 2571108(RIP)

Thats good advice! I was really wondering how to replace the small "cap" once it's removed (grinding down the two "posts").

After 40 years my key got jammed. It's all off the car and I am using an older replacement (that is also jammed now! So I have the electrical off and turning car off/on with screwdriver, nice eh?)

I want to take a look at the tumblers I suspect one or more is simply worn and needs to be filed down lightly to allow turning again.

It it seems that I can put it back together in a way that won't break again I will use it. If not I'll order a new one... Fun to poke around with it anyway.

I believe someone sent it to me via email! Much obliged!

~Jason

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!