• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Supporting weight on sills

scanner

I want to build a car dolly to enable me to turn the car around in the garage both with and without the subframes attached. The inner sills and floors are in good condition, outer sills good apart from the last 3 inches on either end.

I will support the sills along their whole length with 4x2 timber mounted on a steel frame, i will also put carpet on top of the 4x2s to help spread the load evenly.

My question is if the sills are in good condition are they man enough for the job?

I find it interesting that, apparently when you get down in the upside down part of the world, 2 x 4s become 4 x 2s.

Bob Napier (with 50 yrs. experience in the construction industries)

Haha! Yeah, my Australian buddy says the same thing..

Sills are fine. Mine has been on them for over a year now. I used tire dollies with 2x6 (or 6x2) flats with 6x6 blocks that have a long 2x6 spread between them from side to side. I'm a custom furniture builder and need to be able to roll the car in and out of the garage easily. Now that my wheels are back on, I was able to just remove the wood portion and put her back on the wheel dollies. It's worked great for over a year now!