• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Timing chain for NK 1800

Hi Nk Fellas,

My mechanic just started putting my engine together and realized that the timing chain was too tight I dont know to what it is due, as it is him who sourced the chain and may be didn't get the right one ?

its short by about 2 links

if you have any advises or think I should get a new one please let me know.

Thanks

Do Good Attitood

Hey Omar,

I got your email this morning. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can chime in, but if I'm not mistaken, the part number for the timing chain is 11 31 0 731 105

That seems to be the same part number across the board for most M10 powered cars, and several others.

This link shows the usage interchangeability of that part number, which like I said, is pretty much across the board.

http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/11310731105/

Maybe there's some other issue with what he's doing, or you just don't have the correct chain for your car. I have another timing chain from my lot of NK parts. I wish shipping wasn't so expensive for you, or I could send it over. Just hate to see you pay a bunch of shipping if it didn't fit for some reason.

Hi BJ,

Thanks for your reply, I am pretty sure its the wrong chain as its probably the one for the bmw e30 he used.

I'm trying to source the right chain here but if I cant find it, I might take the one you have yes I know shipping is a b..ch but the love for the NK and the excitement of having it done soon, prevails :-).

Omar

Do Good Attitood

Hey BJ haven't received your timing chain yet, but have received the one I ordered from Jaymic in the UK it has the right part number but is still too short, I think its because my car has the long block (with longer stroke smaller bore) as in early NKs and that might be the issue? i really have no idea if what I'm saying is right but if anyone can help please let me know.

Do Good Attitood